EDWIN B. CRITTENDEN (b. 1915). Papers; 1941-1988. 21 cu. ft.
Edwin Crittenden was born in New Haven, Connecticut November 26, 1915. He graduated from Pomona College, Claremont, California (1938); received his architecture degree from Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (1942); and did graduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1948-1949). Mr. Crittenden served four years in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II (1942-1946). He moved to Alaska in 1943 and he married Katherine Carson in 1946. He was the Technical Director of the Alaska Housing Authority, Chairman of the Anchorage Planning Commission, and Clerk of the Anchorage Platting Board. He was appointed to the Alaska State Technical Review Board for the Historic Preservation Act (later the Historic Sites Advisory Board) in 1970. Crittenden served on the board from 1970 to 1977. He was an active architect and community planner in private practice for most of his career. His Anchorage architectural firm has been known as Edwin Crittenden, Architects & Associates; Edwin B. Crittenden and Associates; CCC Architects & Planners (Crittenden-Cassetta-Cannon); CCWC (Crittenden-Cassetta-Wirum-Cannon); CCC/HOK (Crittenden-Cassetta-Cannon/Hellmuth-Obata-Kassabaum); and CCWC/HOK (Crittenden-Cassetta-Wirum-Cannon/Hellmuth-Obata-Kassabaum).
This collection consists of papers relating to the professional
activities of Edwin B. Crittenden. Included are correspondence,
writing projects, photographs, materials relating to northern
construction (published and unpublished), specific planning and
construction projects in the north, visits to the Soviet Union,
Crittenden's architectural firm, and his work in historical preservation.
The initial deposit of this collection was a transfer from the UAA library's Technical Services Department to the archives in 1984. Additional materials were acquired from Alaska Pacific University in 1989. The major portion of the collection was presented to the archives in late 1991 and early 1992. A deed of gift was signed in 1992.
Series 1. Personal
and Business Materials; n.d., 1949-1986. .9 cu. ft.
This series consists of materials related to Edwin B. Crittenden (speeches, conference materials, miscellaneous notes and drawings), correspondence (mainly related to northern construction and specific projects), miscellaneous company documents and forms, and awards and commendations for the Arco Prudhoe Bay Project (CCC/HOK).
Series 2. Historical
Preservation Committee; n.d., 1970-1977. .35 cu. ft.
This series consists of correspondence and publications relating to the activities of the Alaska State Technical Review Board for the Historic Preservation Act. Subjects include proposals for entries to the National Register for Historic Places, the formation of the Alaska Historical Commission, and Theodore Smith's proposed Historic Preservation Study. The series is arranged in chronological order.
Series 3. Writing Projects;
n.d., 1975-1986. .7 cu. ft.
This series consists of notes, drafts and correspondence related to Crittenden's article about Cold, Dry Climate Construction for John Wiley & Sons' Encyclopedia of Architecture: Design, Engineering, and Construction; notes, drafts, correspondence and transcripts of conversations related to Crittenden's collaborations with Victor Fischer; and miscellaneous articles by Crittenden.
Series 4. Northern
Russia Trip; n.d., 1967-1978. .45 cu. ft.
This series consists of correspondence, notes, photographs, publications, and other materials related to the visit of a group of Americans, including Crittenden and Victor Fischer, to the Soviet Union in 1975 as part of the project "Enhancement of the Urban Environment in Far North Areas." (?)
Series 5. Photographs
and Negatives; n.d., 1956-1959, 1970-1977. .35 cu. ft.
This series consists of photographs and negatives primarily related to northern construction projects.
Series 6 Reference
Files; n.d., 1941, 1944, 1947, 1949-1988. 18.25 cu. ft.
This series consists of published and unpublished materials relating to various subjects in which Crittenden was interested. Included are various reports and plans from projects in which both he and his firm were involved. This series is divided into 20 subseries, each of which is described below. The series is in alphabetical order by subseries and title.
Subseries 6a. Alaska 1984; n.d., 1973, 1974, 1980-1982. .9 cu. ft.
This subseries contains reports, plans and proposals related to the planning of an international exposition to be held in Anchorage to celebrate the silver anniversary of Alaska statehood. The exposition was to include an encapsulated area on the UAA and/or APU campus.
Subseries 6b. Alaska OCS [Outer Continental Shelf] Socioeconomic Studies
Program Reports; 1977, 1978, 1980. .5 cu. ft.
This subseries contains eight Alaska OCS Socioeconomic Studies Program Reports. Most were prepared by CCC/HOK.
Alaska State Capital Relocation; n.d., 1969, 1972, 1974, 1975,
1977, 1978, 1982. 1.65 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of reports, plans, proposals, and other miscellaneous materials related to the planning of the state capital move. CCC/HOK was involved in the planning.
Alaska State Housing Authority, Remote Housing Program; n.d.,
1967-1969. .45 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of reports and comments related to various house and village plans put forth by the Alaska State Housing Authority.
Arctic Institute of North America Publications; 1969, 1978,
1986-1988. .35 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of the journal Arctic, annual reports, and the newsletter Information North.
Subseries 6f. Century
21 Exposition; 1960 or 1961? .35 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of three copies of the proposal for Alaska's participation at the Century 21 Exposition in Washington. Edwin Crittenden, Architects and Associates was involved in the production of the proposal.
Subseries 6g. Church
Architecture; n.d., 1941, 1944, 1949, 1950, 1955-1963, 1968,
1973, 1977. .35 cu. ft.
This subseries consists primarily of articles related to church design in both the United States and Scandinavia. Also included is an article on the design of the mosque at New Riyadh International Airport by a member of HOK.
Earthquakes; n.d., 1962, 1964-1970, 1973, 1974. 1.95 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of a folder of miscellaneous materials related to the Alaskan earthquake, a bibliography on earthquakes, books on specific earthquakes, and a set of ten books about "the great Alaska earthquake of 1964" published by the Committee on the Alaska Earthquake of the Division of Earth Sciences, National Research Council. Crittenden was a member of the Committee's Panel on Geography.
Miscellaneous Periodicals; 1956, 1962, 1965-1972, 1975, 1977-1980,
1983. .6 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of an assortment of periodicals, many northern or architectural-related.
Subseries 6j. Miscellaneous
Proposals, Plans, and Reports; n.d., 1951, 1955, 1959, 1960,
1962- 1964, 1966, 1968, 1970-1974, 1980-1986. 1.5 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of miscellaneous proposals, plans, and reports related to specific projects or cities, most in Alaska. Included are materials related to the Anchorage Central Business District and the University of Alaska, among others. Some of the items were produced by Crittenden's firm.
Miscellaneous Reference Materials; n.d., 1954, 1955, 1959, 1962,
1963, 1965- 1987. 1 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of miscellaneous articles, brochures, and other materials not directly related to northern construction.
Subseries 6l. North Nord; 1968, 1970-1983. .6 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of copies of the magazine North Nord.
Northern Construction; n.d., 1947, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1955-1958, 1960- 1985. 2.65 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of articles, brochures, and other materials related to construction, development, and community planning in the north.
Oil/Gas-Related Materials; n.d., 1968-1984. .9 cu. ft.
This subseries consists primarily of articles, newspaper photos, oil company publications, and other materials related to Prudhoe Bay, including CCC/HOK's project for Arco.
Olympic Winter Games 1992; 1984-1986. .45 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of proposals and publications related to Anchorage's bid for the 1992 Olympic Winter Games. CCC Architects was involved in the planning.
Subseries 6p. Petrochemical Facility Studies; 1979-1981. .9 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of environmental impact statements for the Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical Facility in Valdez, an industrial siting evaluation for Valdez Industrial Park, and the Alaska Petrochemical Industry Feasibility Study: A Report to the State of Alaska. CCC Architects & Planners participated in the preparation of the feasibility study.
Psycho-Social; n.d., 1964, 1965, 1967-1978, 1980, 1983, 1987.
.65 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of articles and other materials related to psychology and sociology, focusing on their applications to the problems of living in the north and to architectural design.
Subseries 6r. Russian/USSR
Materials. .45 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of miscellaneous materials, most published and in Russian.
Subseries 6s. School/Child Care Center Design; n.d., 1954-1957, 1961, 1962,
1968, 1974, 1978- 1980, 1983, 1985-1987. 1 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of articles and specific plans and reports related to the design of schools and child care facilities. CCC/HOK produced many of the plans and reports.
Scandinavian Design; n.d., 1949, 1954, 1958, 1960-1965, 1968,
1970. .65 cu. ft.
This subseries consists of articles, magazines, brochures, and catalogs related to Scandinavian design. Many of the articles and magazines are not in English.
BOX AND FOLDER LIST
Series 1. Personal and Business Papers; n.d., 1949-1986.
Subseries 1a. Edwin B. Crittenden;
n.d., 1967, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1983.
1. "Architects to Honor Crittenden" - newspaper clipping from ?????; n.d.
2. Canadian Arctic Mine Tour materials - [tour by 40 people from the Alaska Miners Association to "familiarize the participants with northern Canadian mining operations with the goal of initiating 'hard rock' mining in Alaska." EBC was one of the participants.]; 1983
3. Conferences; n.d., 1967, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1978, 1979, 1981
4. Speeches and Talks by Edwin B. Crittenden - Drafts, Notes, and Final Copy; n.d., 1970, 1981
5. Miscellaneous Notes and Drawings
Subseries 1b. Correspondence;
n.d., 1949, 1954-1972, 1974-1976, 1978, 1981, 1985, 1986..
1. Correspondence - Personal?; 1949, 1963, 1967-1970
2. Correspondence re: Native Housing; 1954-1972
3. Correspondence re: Northern Construction, Northern Housing, and Northern Development and Planning; 1958-1963
4. Correspondence re: Northern
Construction, etc.; 1963-1972
5. Correspondence re: Northern Construction, etc.; 1975-1976, 1981, 1985
6. Correspondence re: Arco Prudhoe Bay Projects; 1974-1976
7. Correspondence re: Glenallen Hospital Project; 1954, 1962
8. Letter from Governor Egan to EBC appointing him Special Assistant to the Governor of Alaska for Northern Architectural Problems - EBC Resume and List of Representative Projects; July 28, 1962
9. Miscellaneous Correspondence and Memos; n.d., 1975, 1976, 1978, 1986
Subseries 1c. Miscellaneous
Company Documents; n.d., 1951, 1955, 1956, 1963, 1975, 1980,
1. "CCC/HOK in Alaska: Cold Weather Expertise" by Rob Cuscaden - from International Building Design & Construction; December 1975
2. "CCC Task Descriptions" - from Chernofski project?; 1980?
3. "A Conversation with Gyo Obata" [HOK]; n.d.
4. Copies of forms [government?] listing CCC Architects & Planners' qualifications for a project; 1984
5. Corporate Brochure/Description of Services and Projects; n.d.
6. Letter of Interest and Qualifications of CCC/HOK - Sent to University of Alaska; April 20, 1981
7. Native Housing - Plans, Drawings, and Misc. [part of the Housing Research Project of the Arctic Health Research Center?]; n.d., 1951, 1955, 1956, 1963
8. "Northern Facilities" - CCC/HOK; n.d.
9. "Outline of Information Included in Typical Programming Document" - CCC Architects; n.d. 10. Project Data Worksheets; n.d.
Subseries 1d. Awards and
Commendations for the Arco Prudhoe Bay Project; n.d., 1976, 1977.
1. "ACEC Engineering Excellence Awards" [American Consulting Engineers Council] - ARCO Prudhoe Bay Operations Center Phase I Addition - Crittenden-Cassetta-Cannon/Hellmuth-Obata-Kassabaum, Architects - from Consulting Engineers; n.d. [attached to drawings of buildings]
2. "Alaska Construction And Oil: Awards Competition For 1980" - [entry based on ARCO Operations Center??]; n.d.
3. "Arco, Humble Move Into New Prudhoe Complex" - from the Anchorage Daily Times; July 6, 1970 [1976?] [Article mentions CCWR]
4. "Arco Prudhoe Bay Operations Center" - by Edwin B. Crittenden - from The Northern Engineer, Vol. 9, No. 1; Spring 1977
5. "Boredom: It Doesn't Live Here Anymore" - p. 6A from the Anchorage Times; April 24, 1976 [quotes Crittenden re: Arco operations center]
6. "Modular Concept Wins Grand Award" - from the Journal of Commerce; February 5, 1976
Series 2. Historical Preservation
Committee; n.d., 1970-1977.
1. Correspondence; 1970
2. Correspondence; 1971
3. Correspondence; 1972
4. Correspondence; 1976
5. Correspondence; 1977
6. Publications; n.d., 1970, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1976-1977
Series 3. Writing Projects; n.d., 1975-1986.
Subseries 3a. Article about
Cold, Dry Climate Construction for John Wiley & Sons' Encyclopedia
of Architecture: Design, Engineering, and Construction; n.d.,
1. "Design, Engineering, and Construction in a Cold, Dry Climate" - DRAFT - by Edwin B. Crittenden; June 1986
2. Correspondence and notes re: article [includes author's guide]; 1985-1986
3. Figures and maps related to article?
4. "Building in a Cold-Wet Climate" - DRAFT - by Robert G. Albrecht [companion article to EBC's]; n.d.
5. "Climate and Design" - Review Copy - by James Lendrum [another article for the encyclopedia, sent to EBC for review][includes cover memo and comments]; 1986
Subseries 3b. Projects with
Victor Fischer; n.d., 1975-1979.
1. Correspondence with Vic Fischer; 1976-1978
2. Transcripts of conversations with EBC related to project with Vic Fischer; 1978
3. Transcripts of conversations with EBC related to project with Vic Fischer; n.d., 1978
4. Drafts and notes related to project with Vic Fischer [Standards and Criteria for Northern Development?/Arctic Community Design?]; 1975-1979? (Folder 1)
5. Drafts and notes related to
project with Vic Fischer [Standards and Criteria for Northern
Development?/Arctic Community Design?]; 1975-1979? (Folder
6. Drafts and notes related to project with Vic Fischer [Standards and Criteria for Northern Development?/Arctic Community Design?]; 1975-1979? (Folder 3)
7. Arctic Community Design - DRAFT - by Edwin Crittenden, Victor Fischer, Douglas McConnell, Jean Baldrige - Institute of Social and Economic Research, University of Alaska; March 1979
8. "Report on Visit to the Soviet Union by U.S. Team for the Project 'Enhancement of the Urban Environment in Far North Areas' Under US-USSR Agreement on Environmental Protection, September 7-20, 1975" - DRAFT - by Edwin B. Crittenden and Victor Fischer; May 14, 1976
Subseries 3c. Miscellaneous
Articles by EBC; n.d., 1977, 1981
1. "ARCO Prudhoe Bay Operations Center" - by Edwin B. Crittenden - pp. 9-16 from The Northern Engineer - Vol. 9, No. 1; Spring 1977
2. "Community Planning for Resource Development Sites" - Edwin B. Crittenden - Paper prepared for the Resource Development Council for Alaska, Inc; January 5, 1981
3. "Design and Construction of Built Environment in Cold Regions" - by Edwin B. Crittenden???; n.d.
4. "Design Approach" - by Edwin B. Crittenden???; n.d.
5. "Design of the Built Environment in Cold Regions" - Edwin B. Crittenden; n.d.
Series 4. Northern Russia
Trip; n.d., 1967-1978
1. Northern Russia Trip (Folder 1) [includes correspondence, 35 negatives, 3 9x7 b&w photos, notes, and other materials]; n.d., 1975-1977
2. Northern Russia Trip (Folder 2) [includes draft of report on visit, notes, description of slides, correspondence, schedules, and other materials]; n.d., 1975-1976 [ALSO INCLUDES VIC FISCHER NOTES MARKED AS NOT TO BE PASSED ON TO OTHERS]
3. Northern Russia Trip (Folder 3):
- "Background Information for U.S. Delegation on Environment in Northern Areas - USSR, 7-20 September 1975" - Office on International Affairs, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, DC 20410; 1975
- "How Soviets Plan Their Urban Housing" - from AIA Journal; August 1972
- Letter from EBC to Evgeni M. Nikiforov; June 25, 1976
- Letter from EBC to Alexei V. Karagin; June 25, 1976
- Letter from Victor Fischer to Alexey O. Kudryavtsev; April 20, 1973 [includes copy of "Memorandum of Implementation of the Agreement Between the United States of America and The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics On Cooperation In the Field of Environmental Protection of May 23, 1972"]
- Map - "Eastern Soviet Union" - Atlas Plate 46: March 1967 - Compiled and Drawn in the Cartographic Division of the National Geographic Society for The National Geographic Magazine - Scale 1:11,404,800 or 180 Miles to the Inch; 1967
- National Geographic [contains article about Siberia] - Vol. 131, No. 3; March 1967
- "Neighbors in the North" - by Grigori Agranat - from Soviet Life; June 1975
- "New Rail Project Dramatizes Soviet Power" by David K. Shipler and "Raw North Makes Some Wives Pine for Moscow" - from the New York Times; March 9, 1978
- Political Cartoon re: Yakutsk and Sakharov; 1975
- "Power Resources" - from Soviet Life; September 1974
- "Questionnaire" [to enter the USSR? Asks name, nationality, passport number, etc.]; n.d. [2 copies]
- "Russia Packs Military Might Into Arctic Corner" - from Albuquerque Journal; January 30, 1977
- "Samotlor: An Ocean of Oil in the Middle of Siberian Marshes" - from Soviet Life; July 1975
- "1300 Eskimos Live in Russia" - from the Anchorage Daily News; September 21, 1976
- "Description of Slides, September HUD Sponsored USSR Visit" and "Narrative of Russian Trip"; n.d.
Series 5. Photographs
and Negatives; n.d., 1956-1959, 1970-1977 (531 prints and 132 negatives).
1. Rendering "State Court & Office Building, Juneau, Alaska, CCC/HOK, Architects"; 1972 (1 b&w print, 8 X 10 inch).
2. Experimental House #1 - Napaskiak; n.d., March 1956-March 1957 (9 b&w prints, 4 X 5 inch).
3. Experimental House #2 - Eek; August 1957-November 1959 (6 b&w prints, 4 X 5 inch).
4. Experimental House #3 - Aniak; April 1957-July 1958 (6 b&w prints, 4 X 5 inch).
5. Experimental House #4 - Beaver; March 1959-November 1959 (6 b&w prints, 4 X 5 inch).
6. Experimental House #5 - Kotzebue; August 1958-August 1959 (7 b&w prints, 4 X 5 inch).
7. Unknown native village; n.d. (26 b&w prints, 3.5 X 5 inch).
8. "Native Housing File" - one photo labelled "Henry Deacon, R. Ley, Walter Nicollelle"; n.d. (9 b&w prints 3 X 4 inch).
9. "Native Housing - Holikachuk & Greyling" - includes photos of plans and one of EBC?; n.d. (20 b&w prints, 3 X 3 inch).
10. "Cape Lisbourne A C & W Site, U.S. Corps of Engineers, CCWJ, Architects"; n.d. (1 b&w print, 8 X 10 inch).
11. "Frobisher Bay"; printed in July 1972 (66 b&w prints, 3.5 X 5 inch).
12. "Glen Allen and Kotzebue, August 1976" (12 negatives).
13. "Whittier, March 1977" (27 prints, 20 negatives).
14. "Kotlik, Emmonak, Pilot Station (#19) on Negative Only" - Small sheet of paper lists subjects in photos 14-20; n.d. (20 negatives).
15. "Chevak" and "Hooper Bay" - envelope is labelled "77 40 - EDA's" - 2 photos labelled "Nunapitchuk?" on the back; n.d. (18 prints, 20 negatives).
16. "Quinhagak, Kipnuk, Toksook Bay"; n.d. (12 negatives).
17. Construction site? - one has "17 C G" written on the margin; n.d. (36 prints, 16 different) /
18. Color photographs are mostly numbered and are labelled Toksook Bay, Chevak Community Center, Hooper Bay Community Center, Nunapitchuk Community Center, Quinhagak, and Kasigluk Community Center; n.d. (48 b&w prints, 19 color prints).
19. Most numbered from 3-1 to 3-56B - most of buildings and pipes; n.d. (64 b&w prints).
20. Mostly pipes and aerial views; n.d. (57 b&w prints, 13 different).
21. Photos are labelled "Toksook Bay" and negative envelope is labelled "7740 - EDA's"; n.d. (11 b&w prints, 26 b&w negatives).
22. "Penney's Parking Garage Fire - 10 June 1970" (4 b&w prints).
23. "U of A (24 May 70), Fairbanks (25 May 70), and ANG (Anchorage Natural Gas?)(22 July 70)" (7 b&w prints).
24. Tununak (3), Hooper Bay (1); n.d. (6 b&w prints).
25. Mekoryuk; n.d. (9 b&w prints)
26. "Greenland"; n.d. (41 b&w prints, 21 color prints).
27. "Bethel 8/75" (22 b&w prints, 22 b&w negatives).
28. "Kotzebue Jade" - includes photo of EBC?; n.d. (4 color prints, 8 X 10 inch).
Series 6. Reference Files; n.d., 1941, 1944, 1947, 1949-1988.
Subseries 6a. Alaska 1984;
n.d., 1973, 1974, 1980-1982.
1. Alaska 1984: The Alaska Imperative; n.d.
2. Alaska 1984 Application To The Secretary Of Commerce United States Of America For Recognition Of An International Exposition; February 15, 1980 (Folder 1 of 2)
3. Alaska 1984 Application To The Secretary Of Commerce United States Of America For Recognition Of An International Exposition; February 15, 1980 (Folder 2 of 2)
4. Alaska 1984 Application To The Secretary Of Commerce United States Of America For Recognition Of An International Exposition: Supplemental Submission; March 13, 1980
5. "Alaska 1984 Encapsulation" - Geiger Berger Associates; n.d. [1 bound copy, 2+ photocopies]
6. Alaska 1984 Fair Transportation Plan Phase 1: Preliminary Studies - Draft Final Report - SP Group; February 10, 1982
7. Alaska 1984 Master Plan Volume I: The Purpose; n.d.
8. Alaska 1984 Silver Anniversary
Celebration Master Plan Public Summary; n.d.
9-10. Alaska 1984: Site Development Master Plan - Volume 1 - Prepared by Consortium '84 [CCC Architects & Planners, TSG Architects, and Merrick Chandler Kennedy Architectural Group]; March 5, 1982 [2 copies]
11. Alaska 1984: Site Development Master Plan - Volume 2 - Prepared by Consortium '84; March 5, 1982 - (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
12. [Alaska 1984: Site Development Master Plan - Drawings and selected pages, no title page]
13. "Alaska Expo 84" - SBA [Sergio Bernardes Associados]; n.d.
14. Diagrams and Drawings - 29 Negatives, 8 1/2 x 11; Feb. 26, 1982
15. Expo '74 - World's Fair Spokane, USA May-Oct. 1974: Celebrating Tomorrow's Fresh New Environment! - Program?; 1974?
16. Fabric Structures In Cold Regions - Prepared by Geiger Berger Associates; n.d.
17. "The Hoosier Call to World-Class Amusement" - by Nina Voig - pages 14-19 from ?????; n.d.
18. Spokane North Riverbank Urban Design Plan: Summary Report - Citizens Task Force of the Spokane City Plan Commission; 1981
19. Visual Criteria Manual - Expo '74 [Spokane, WA]; June 1973
Subseries 6b. Alaska OCS
[Outer Continental Shelf] Socioeconomic Studies Program Reports;
1977, 1978, 1980.
1-2. Baseline Studies of the Physical and Manmade Environment: The Beaufort Sea Region - Interim Report - Technical Report No. 5 - Prepared by CCC/HOK for the Bureau of Land Management, Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; December 1, 1977 (Copies 1 &2)
3. Baseline Studies: Selected Communities In The Gulf Of Alaska Region - Interim Report - Technical Report No. 6 - Prepared by CCC/HOK for the Bureau of Land Management, Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; August 11, 1977 (Folder 1 of 3)
4. Baseline Studies: Selected Communities In The Gulf Of Alaska Region - Interim Report - Technical Report No. 6 - Prepared by CCC/HOK for the Bureau of Land Management, Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; August 11, 1977 (Folder 2 of 3)
5. Baseline Studies: Selected Communities In The Gulf Of Alaska Region - Interim Report - Technical Report No. 6 - Prepared by CCC/HOK for the Bureau of Land Management, Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; August 11, 1977 (Folder 3 of 3)
6. Literature Survey - Technical Report No. 2 - Prepared by Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.; URSA; CCC/HOK; and Dames & Moore for the BLM, Alaska OCS Office; April 1977
7. Lower Cook Inlet: Petroleum Development Scenarios, Sociocultural Systems Analysis - Technical Report No. 47 - Prepared by Stephen R. Braund and Associates for the Bureau of Land Management Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; January 1980
8. Prudhoe Bay Case Study - Technical Report No. 4 - Prepared by CCC/HOK for the Bureau of Land Management, Alaska Outer Continental Shelf Office; February 1978
Subseries 6c. Alaska State
Capital Relocation; n.d., 1969, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978,
1. A Brief History of Reston, Virginia - Gulf Reston, Inc.; April 1972
2. A Capital City for Alaska - M. Paul Friedberg & Partners; Benjamin Thompson & Associates; n.d. [2 copies]
3. Aerial Photographs [from flight to inspect potential capital sites?] - 59 B&W 5x7 photos, 2 proof sheets, 3 rolls/pages 35mm negatives; 1975
4. "Alaska Capital Planning Project: Conceptual Plan" - prepared by Lane + Knorr + Plunkett - Team 3; December 1977 [2 copies]
5. [Alaska Capital Relocation Conceptual Plan - Part 1? Team 1?] - Bull Field Volkmann Stockwell; Sedway Cooke; n.d. [2 copies]
6. Alaska State Capital Relocation Study - Final Report - Boeing Computer Services and Naramore Bain Brady & Johanson; July 31, 1974 [2 copies]
7. "Capital City Concept" - DRAFT? - Maynard NBBJ Alaska IV; n.d.
8. "Capital Relocation" - An Architectural Thesis, University of Idaho, 1974-75 - William C. Payton, Gerald L. Winchester - "Partial"; March 1975
9. Capital Relocation Cost: 1980 Construction Cost Estimate for a New Alaskan Capital City - Joint Committee to Study Cost of Moving the Alaska State Capital; July 27, 1974
10. CSSC Newsletter [Capital Site Selection Committee] - September Issue, November Issue; n.d.
11. Capital Site Selection: General Information - Capital Site Selection Committee - CCC/HOK Architects & Planners; Dames & Moore; Alan M. Voorhees & Associates; n.d.
12. The Capital Site Selection Project: Selection of Three Alternative Sites - 393 pp.; December 11, 1975 (Copy 1)
13. The Capital Site Selection Project: Selection of Three Alternative Sites - 393 pp.; December 11, 1975 (Copy 2)
14. "The Columbia Process: The Potential for New Towns" - Morton Hoppenfeld; n.d.
15. Constitution of the State of Alaska - Agreed upon by the Delegates of the People of Alaska, University of Alaska, February 5, 1956 - As Amended; 1969
16. Construction Cost Assumptions for the New Capital City, and For Juneau - Technical Report No. 8 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
17. Cost Assumptions for Retaining Juneau as the Capital City ("No-Move" Study) - Technical Report No. 7 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; June 1982
18. Cost Estimates for the New Capital City: Construction, Relocation, Indemnification; and for Retaining Juneau as the Capital City: "No-Move" Costs - Technical Report No. 10 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
19. Design Determinants for the New Capital: Preliminary - Mark Freyer & Associates; R & M Consultants; GDM & Associates; William J. King & Associates; Lane, Knorr & Plunkett; November 9, 1977
20. Financing and Implementation Plans for the New Capital City, and for Retaining Juneau as the Capital City - Technical Report No. 11 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
21. General and Specific Development Plan for the New Capital City - Technical Report No. 4 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; July 1982, Revised August 1982
22. Introduction and Overview: Legislation and the Planning Process - Technical Report No. 1 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
23. "Lloyd Rodwin's January 30 Lunch Speech"; n.d.
24. Miscellaneous maps and documents related to capital site selection and plans
25. Move/No Move: A Decision for All Alaskans: Questions and Answers from the New Capital Site Planning Commission - Brochure; 1982? [3 copies]
26-29. New Capital City Planning Process: Background Report No. 14 - Design Guidelines: Lifestyle and Environment - Richard Morehouse, Editor [CCC/HOK]; June 1978 (Copies 1 to4)
30. North Pacific Aerial Surveys, Inc. - Corporate promotional materials with cover letter to EBC dated April 4, 1975
31. Our New Capital City: A Report to the People of Alaska - A Supplement to many Alaskan newspapers; 1978? [4 copies]
32. Population and Facilities Projections for the New Capital Site - Technical Report No. 3 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; July 1982
33. Qualifications Statement: The Alaska State Capital Project, Planning and Development Program - presented by the Ralph M. Parsons Co.; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.; Wilbur Smith & Associates; and Dames & Moore; April 11, 1977 [Has cover memo dated May 7 from EBC to staff members][two copies of statement]
34. Real Estate Cost Assumptions
for the New Capital Site, and For Juneau - Technical Report
No. 9 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission;
July 1, 1982
35. Relocation Plan: Personnel and Space Projections for the New Capital Site - Technical Report No. 2 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; March 1982
36. Social System Design Guidelines for the New Capital: Preliminary Draft for Design Planning Teams - Anne Kriken and Steven M. Reiner, CCC/HOK; and Diddy R.M. Hitchins, UAA; October 19, 1977 [includes work paper and notes tucked into the front]
37. Socioeconomic Impacts of Capital Relocation: Effects on the State, Juneau and Matanuska- Susitna Borough - Technical Report No. 12 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
38. Souvenir de Brasilia; n.d.
39. The State of Alaska Capital Site Selection Project: The Selection of Three Alternative Sites - 40 pp.; 1975 [5 copies]
40. Statement of Qualifications - Alaska State Capital Consortium - CCC/HOK; Bechtel Inc.; Dames & Moore; Llewelyn-Davies Associates; Alan M. Voorhees & Associates; 1977 [2 copies]
41. Summary Report: Plans, Costs And Impacts Relating to Relocation of the State Capital - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
42. Transportation Plan for the New Capital City - Technical Report No. 6 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
43. "Two San Francisco firms win competition to design a new capital city for Alaska" - by Janet Nairn - from Architectural Record; n.d.
44. Utilities Plan for the New Capital City - Technical Report No. 5 - Studies of the New Capital Site Planning Commission; August 1982
Subseries 6d. Alaska State
Housing Authority, Remote Housing Program; n.d., 1967-1969.
1. Alaska Remote Housing Implementation Plan - Alaska State Housing Authority; January 1969
2. The Arctic-Sub-Arctic H-Plan Village - Vetle Jorgensen, Alaska State Housing Authority; May 1968
3. ASHA-Ruralcap Rammed Earth Report No. 1 and H-Plan House Comments; April to September 1968 [2 copies]
4. Design Proposals, Comments and Press Release - Jan-Apr 1968 - Vetle Jorgensen, Alaska State Housing Authority; 1968 [3 copies]
5. H-Plan House; March 1968 [2 copies]
6. H-Plan House Type - Rammed Earth Construction; March 1968 [2 copies]
7. Housing In Greenland - Alaska State Housing Authority Technical Paper No. 1 - by Vetle Jorgensen; September 1968 [3 copies]
8. Housing The Alaska Native - Alaska State Housing Authority Remote Housing Report No. 1 - by Charles Abrams; 1967 [3 copies]
9. Native Housing In Alaska: Alaska State Housing Authority Technical Paper No. 2; 1968?
10. Plans; n.d.
11. Triangular House Plan - Vetle Jorgensen; July 1968
12. Village Survey, Feb.-Mar. 1968 - Vetle Jorgensen; March 1968
13. Village Survey Question naire; n.d.
Subseries 6e. Arctic Institute
of North America Publications; 1969, 1978, 1984, 1986-1988.
1. Arctic - Vol. 22, No. 3; Sept. 1969; Vol. 31, No. 2; June 1978
2. Arctic: Journal Of The Arctic Institute Of North America; Vol. 37, No. 3 ; Vol. 39, Nos. 1-4 ; Vol. 40, Nos. 2-4, and Supplement 1 ; Vol. 41, No. 1 
3. Arctic Institute of North America (University of Calgary) - Annual Report 1986 and Annual Report 1987
4. Information North - Newsletter of the Arctic Institute of North America; Spring 1986, Summer 1986, and Fall 1986
Subseries 6f. Century 21
Exposition; 1960 or 1961?.
1-3. Proposal For Alaska's Participation At Century 21 Exposition - prepared by Alaska 21, Edwin Crittenden, Architects and Associates; Associates: Durham, Anderson & Freed, Architects; Consultants: Herb Rosenthal, Exhibition Design and John E. Croul, Jr., Economics; 1960 or 1961? [photo of model tucked into front of proposal in item #1]
Subseries 6g. Church Architecture;
n.d., 1941, 1944, 1949, 1950, 1955-1963, 1968, 1973, 1977.
1. "Alvar Aalto Today" - by Frederick Gutheim - Reprinted from Architectural Record; April 1963
"Alppilan Kirkko/Alppila Church" - pp. 147-152 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 9-10; 1957
"An Architect's Case Study of a Church" - pp. 13-18 from Pacific Architect and Builder; May 1958
"Architectural Pictures of the Month" - p. 23 from Building Construction Illustrated; November 1957
Architecture for Worship - E.A. Sovik - Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House; 1973
Arkkitehti Arkitekten - 2; 1959
Arkkitehti Arkitekten - 9 - pp. I-II, 143-162; 1961
Arkkitehti Arkitekten - 5 - pp. III-IV, 73-102; 1962
2. "Basis for Design of Mosque: New Riyadh International Airport Terminal Complex" - DRAFT - prepared by John P. Dieken, HOK; August 18, 1977
3. Brick & Tile - Vol. 20, No. 4; July-August 1963
"Can Today's Church Contribute Importantly to Today's Architecture, as Did the Church in Ages Past?..." - pp. 57-72 from Architectural Forum; December 1949
"Chapel of St. James the Fisherman" - pp. 138-140 from Architectural Record; December 1958
"The Church Around the Table: A Congregation in Oregon Has Erected an Unusual Church Based on the Reformed Concept of Worship" - pp. 15-16 from Presbyterian Life; October 15, 1958
"Church Buildings" - George W. Carroll - pp. 26-35 from Architecture/West; December 1968
"Church of Baranzate" - pp. 134-136 from Progressive Architecture; n.d.
"Churches" - pp. 119-137 from Progressive Architecture; June 1958
"Churches" - Building Types Study 93 - pp. 83-94 from Architectural Record; September 1944 [second copy includes pp. 83-110]
"Churches" - Building Types Study 253 - pp. 171-196 from Architectural Record; December 1957
"Churches and Temples" - pp. 103-134 from Progressive Architecture; October 1956
"Concordia Evangelical Lutheran Church" - pp. 128-132 from Progressive Architecture; December 1959
"Culture, Religion and Architecture in Indiana" - p. 15 from Architectural Record; October 1960
"Drawing by Sandblasting" - pp. 154-158 from P/A [Progressive Architecture?]; December 1960
4. "Four Churches in the Pacific Northwest" - pp. 25-34 from Western Architect and Engineer; December 1959
"Four Houses of Worship" - pp. 113-129 from Progressive Architecture; June 1959
"Four Unpretentious Religious Buildings" - pp. 17-26 from Pacific Architect & Builder; January 1962
"Herttoniemen Kirkko/The Herttoniemi Church" [brochure]; n.d. [196?]
"Hjaltegravarna I Kouvola" - pp. 51-52 [from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten?]; n.d.
"Iglesia de la Virgen Milagrosa, Mexico, D.F." - pp. 107-111 from Progressive Architecture; July 1955
"Jarvenpaan Siunauskappeli" - pp. 153-160 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 9-10; 1957
"Kolme Uutta Kirkkoa/Three Modern Finnish Churches" - from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 6-7; 1958
"Kulosaaren Suojasta Rakennetaan Kestava Muutoksia Suunnitelmiin" - Newspaper article [also included two pictures torn from magazines]; n.d.
"Lauritsalan Kirkon Suunnittelukilpailu Tavlingen Om Planerandet Av Kyrka I Lauritsala/Otteita Palkintolautakunnan Poytakir Jasta" - pp. 26-36? from Arkkitehti Arkitekten 3; 1958
Le Corbusier - La Chapelle de Ronchamp - [photo from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 9-10; 1957?]
"Le Corbusier's La Tourette" - pp. 114-122 from Architectural Record; July 1960
"Le Corbusier's Notre Dame du Haut at Ronchamp" - Jean Labatut - pp. 167-172 from Architectural Record; October 1955
"Modern Churches in Postwar France" - Building Types Study 283 - by Peter Hammond - pp. 195-218 from Architectural Record; June 1960
"Monument to Peace: Le Corbusier's Chapel at Ronchamp Has Been Called 'the Greatest Building of Our Day'" - by Mary Seth - pp. 21-23 from Presbyterian Life; January 1, 1962
"Nuijamaa Kyrka Och Prastgard" - pp. 41-46 [from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten?]; n.d.
"An On-the-Site Look at Europe's New Churches" - by Harold E. Wagoner; "Artists and Architects--The Church Needs Both" - by Katharine Morrison McClinton; "A Contempo rary Church from Native Materials"; "The Biggest Roof-Raising Job in the World" - by George Heath; and "Architecture Should Speak to Head and Heart: The Function of the Arts in the Church" - by B. Odell Prather [stapled together] - from Protestant Church; February 1962
"Oriveden Kirkko" - pp. 88-101 reprinted from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 5; 1962
"Pihlajavesi" - pp. 105-110 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 6-7; 1956
"Protected Sanctuary: The Warren Methodist Church, Warren, Michigan" - pp. 155-160 from Architectural Record; February 1960
5. "Religious Buildings" - Building Types Study 241 - pp. 123-154 from Architectural Record; December 1956
"Restoration by Kauno Kallio"? - pp. 99-102 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten - 6-7; 1958
"Saint Mark's Church Burlington, VT" - pp. 85-90 from The Architectural Forum; July 1944
"Salla Kyrka" - pp. 47-50 [from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten?]; n.d.
"Salokunnan Seurakuntatalo" - Karkku - Arkkitehti Timo Penttila - pp. 103-108 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 5; 1962
"Seven German Churches" - Building Types Study 247 - pp. 157-184 from Architectural Record; June 1957
"Strength or Banality? A New Reformation Challenges Church Design" - pp. 69-82 from Architectural Forum; December 1963
"Tabernacle Church of Christ" - pp. 35-44 from The Architectural Forum; October 1942
"Tapiolan Kirkon Suunnittelukilpailu Planeringstavling Om Hagalunds Kyrka" - pp. 1-12 from Arkkitehti Arkitekten 1; 1962
"Tavlingen Om Den Andra Kyrkan I Lahtis Forsamling/Description of the Competition for Projects of a Church for the City of Lahti" - pp. 33-40 [from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten?]; n.d.
"Teekkarikylan Kappeli/The Chapel in the College of Technology Village" - Otaniemi/Otnas - Kaija & Heikki Siren, Architects - pp. 87-98 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 6-7; 1958
"Temppeliaukion Kirkon Suunnittelukilpailu Laneringstavling Om Kyrka Pa Tempelplatsen" - pp. 13-24 from Arkkitehti Arkitekten 2; 1961
"This Is Your House of Worship... First Presbyterian Church, Anchorage, Alaska..." - [Brochure about the need for a new sanctuary]; 1950
TIM Press - published by Timber Structures Inc. - Vol. 10, No. 5; October-November 1960 [Issue is dedicated to projects in Alaska and includes the St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Anchorage which was designed by Edwin Crittenden & Associates.]
"Today's Sweden in Photographs" - by G.E. Kidder Smith - pp. 527-542 from Pencil Points; August 1941
"Tornion Kirkko Ja Kellotapuli" - pp. 161-168 from Arkkitehti-Arkitekten 9-10; 1957
"Trinity Lutheran Church" - pp. 138-141 from Progressive Architecture; n.d.
6. Miscellaneous untitled materials related to church architecture
Subseries 6h. Earthquakes;
n.d., 1962, 1964-1970, 1973, 1974.
Committee on the Alaska Earthquake [EBC was member of the Panel on Geography] of the Division of Earth Sciences, National Research Council Publications:
1. The Great Alaska Earthquake
of 1964: Summary And Recommendations, Including Index to Series;
1973 [Letter dated Jan. 2, 1974 to EBC from Charles L. Drake,
Chairman, thanking him for his service on the panel tucked into
2. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Biology.
3. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Geology Part A.
4. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Geology Part B - Graphics Supplement.
5. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Human Ecology.
6. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Hydrology Part A.
7. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Hydrology Part B.
8. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Engineering. [2 copies]
9. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Oceanography and Coastal Engineering.
10. The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964: Seismology and Geodesy.
11. The Agadir, Morocco Earthquake,
February 29, 1960 - American Iron and Steel Institute; 1962.
12-13. The Alaska Earthquake March 27, 1964: Field Investigations And Reconstruction Effort - By Wallace R. Hansen, Edwin B. Eckel, William E. Schaem, Robert E. Lyle, Warren George, and Genie Chance - Geological Survey Professional Paper 541; 1966 (Copies 1 & 2)
14. Alaskan Earthquake - Misc. Materials; 1964-1970
15. "Bibliography On Earthquakes" - The Disaster Research Center, Ohio State University; n.d.
16. Effects of the Earthquake of March 27, 1964 At Anchorage, Alaska - by Wallace R. Hansen - Geological Survey Professional Paper 542-A; 1965
17. The Prince William Sound,
Alaska, Earthquake Of 1964 And Aftershocks - Volume I: Operational
Phases of the Coast and Geodetic Survey Program in Alaska for
the Period March 27 to December 31, 1964 - Including an Account
of Seismicity and Brief History of the Coast and Geodetic Survey
in this Area - Fergus J. Wood, Editor; 1966
18. The Prince William Sound, Alaska, Earthquake of 1964 and Aftershocks - Volume II: Research Studies: Seismology and Marine Geology - Part A: Engineering Seismology - Fergus J. Wood, Editor; 1967
19. The Prince William Sound, Alaska, Earthquake of 1964 and Aftershocks - Volume II: Research Studies: Seismology and Marine Geology - Part B: Seismology and Part C: Marine Geology - Louis E. Leipold, Editor; 1969
20-21. The Prince William Sound, Alaska, Earthquake Of 1964 And Aftershocks - Volume III: Research Studies and Interpretive Results, Geodesy and Photogrammetry - Louis E. Leipold, Editor; 1969 (Copies 1 & 2)
22. The Skopje, Yugoslavia Earthquake, July 26, 1963 - by Glen V. Berg; 1964
23. The Tsunami Of The Alaskan Earthquake, 1964: Engineering Evaluation - by Basil W. Wilson and Alf Torum - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Coastal Engineering Research Center Technical Memorandum No. 25; May 1968
24. The Venezuela Earthquake, July 29, 1967 - by Robert D. Hanson and Henry J. Degenkolb; 1969
Subseries 6i. Miscellaneous
Periodicals; 1956, 1962, 1965-1972, 1975, 1977-1980, 1983.
1. A.D. - United Presbyterian Edition - Vol. 4, No. 2; February 1975 [opened to "Alaska 2: Eskimos On Top of the World" by Thomas Orrin Bentz]
2. AIA Journal [American Institute of Architects]; April 1983.
3. Alaska Conservation Review - The Alaska Conservation Society; Winter 1977; Winter 1977 [1978?]; Summer 1978
4. Anthropologica - Vol. IX, No. 2; 1967
5. Arctic Bulletin - Vol. 2, No. 11; 1977
6. Art In America; March-December 1971; March-April, July-August 1972
7. The Beaver; Autumn 1967, Spring 1968, Summer 1970
8. Building Alaska - Published in the Public Interest by the Alaska State Housing Authority; 1965-1968
9. Bulletin for All Members of the Faculty and the Staff of the University of Manitoba; November 1967?
10. Center for Settlement Studies, Univ. of Manitoba - Fifth Annual Report - Series 1: Annual and Progress Report No. 5; 1972
11. Cook Inlet Region Inc. - Annual Reports - 1975, 1977
12. Danish Foreign Office
Journal - edition devoted to Arctic Denmark - No. 58; 1967
13. Exceptional Education Quarterly - Vol. 1, No. 1; May 1980
14. Eye - Magazine Of The Yale Arts Association - Number Three; 1969
15. LKAB tidningen - Vol. 5?, No. 3; 1962
16. The Musk-Ox: A Journal on the North - Special I.G.U. Issue - Publication No. 10; 1972
17. Research & Design: The Quarterly of the AIA Research Corporation; Spring 1979
18. The Robertson World of Construction; Summer 1978
19. University Museum Bulletin - Forest Eskimos: An Ethnographic Sketch of Kobuk River People in the 1880's - by J. L. Giddings, Jr. - Vol. 20, No. 2; June 1956
20. University of Alaska Institute of Arctic Environmental Engineering - Annual Report; 1969- 1970
Subseries 6j. Miscellaneous
Proposals, Plans, and Reports; n.d., 1951, 1955, 1959, 1960,
1962- 1964, 1966, 1968, 1970-1974, 1980-1986.
1. Alaska Native Arts/Cultural Center: A Report to the Alaska State Legislature - Prepared by the Alaska State Museum and the Native Arts/Cultural Center Steering Committee [design for cultural center by CCC Architects]; May 1982
2. Aleutian Air Station Detachment: Cold Bay, Alaska - Planning Study for FD&CC (West) U.S. Coast Guard - DRAFT - USKH, Inc.; March 14, 1986
3. An Analysis of the Socio-Economic Impact of the Alaska Arctic Gas Study Company Pipeline - Prepared for Alaska Arctic Gas Study Company by CCC/HOK and Marshall Kaplan, Gans, & Kahn; September 1973
4. Anchorage At The Crossroads August 1964: A Post-Quake Planning Study of the Central Business District of Anchorage, Alaska - prepared by Architects and Planners: Robert E. Alexander & Associates and Edwin Crittenden, Architects & Associates; August 1964
5. Anchorage Central Business District Comprehensive Development Plan - by Community Planning Department and Gruen Associates in association with Gladstone Associates, CCC, and Maynard and Partch; Fall 1983
6. Anchorage Central Business District Comprehensive Development Plan: Final Draft - prepared by Community Planning Department and Gruen Associates in association with Gladstone Associates, CCC, and Maynard and Partch; October 1982
7. Anchorage Civic Center; n.d., 1966
8. Anchorage Library Proposal; 1/27/80
9. Anchorage Performing Arts Center; n.d.
10. Anchorage Winter Recreation Development Program - Point Campbell/Kincaid Park Master Plan for the Municipality of Anchorage - EDAW, Inc.; Tryck, Nyman, Hayes; Lane, Knorr, Plunkett; September 1983
11. Anchorage Zoning - Central Business District; n.d., 1974
12. Art of the Built Environment - Anchorage, Alaska, 1980 - Visual Arts Center of Alaska - Report on Public Lectures and Work Session held August 14-16, 1980; 1980
13. Beluga Methanol Project - Placer Amex Co. - by Dick Morehouse and Gordon Harrison for CCC+ Architects; May 1981
14. Bethel - Turnkey III - Site Plan; Oct. 14, 1968
15. Cape Lisburne A.F.S. Alaska - A.C.& W. Composite Bldg. - U.S. Army Engineer District, Alaska - Corps of Engineers, Anchorage, Alaska; n.d. (Oversize - Stored in Map Cabinet Drawer C)
16. Chernofski Harbor Development Plan - prepared by Dames & Moore; CCC Architects and Planners; Anderson-Bjornstad-Kane-Jacobs; Norgaard (USA) Inc.; and Mark I. Hutton & Associates; December 1981 [2 copies]
17. Chernofski Harbor Development Plan: Technical Memoranda - Dames & Moore; n.d.
18. City of Lost River Development Proposal [photocopy] - DRAFT - CCC/HOK Architects & Planners; n.d.
19-20. City of Lost River: Pre-Application Proposal to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for New Community Development Assistance - DRAFT - Alaska Consultants & CCC/HOK Architects & Planners; October 1972 (Copies 1&2)
21. City of Lost River: Socio-Economic Survey - DRAFT - Prepared by Alaska Consultants and Rowan Group; October 1972
22. City Of Seward Comprehensive Plan - [CCC Architects served as consultants]; Nov. 5, 1985 [2 copies]
23. City of Soldotna Comprehensive Plan - [CCC Architects served as consultants]; 1986
24. Concept and Program: State Courts Facility, Juneau, Alaska - Prepared by CCC/HOK Architects and Planners; December 1971 [2 copies]
25. Design for a New Municipal Center, Fairbanks, Alaska - Philleo Engineering & Architectural Service; 1960 (Oversize - Stored in Map Cabinet Drawer C)
26. Fairbanks North Star Borough Downtown Transportation Improvement Program: Central Bus Station, Public Parking Garage, Pedestrian Walkways - by CCC Architects and Planners; June 1980 [2 copies]
27. Greater Anchorage Area Borough Planning Department; n.d., 1959, 1968, 1972, 1974
28. Letter (copy) dated 1982 from Vincent Scully (Colonel John Trumbull Professor of the History of Art, Yale University) to Mayor Tony Knowles [written in response to visit to Anchorage - much commentary on the present and future appearance of the city]
29. A Library, Humanities and Fine Arts Facility for the University of Alaska - Lawrence Lackey, Knorr & Elliott; 1963?
30. A Library, Humanities and Fine Arts Facility for the University of Alaska - Revised Building Program - Manley & Mayer; March 23, 1966
31. The Long Range Development Plan - Lawrence Lackey & Associates - University of Alaska; 1968
32. Lost River Comprehensive Development Plan - by Pacific Architects and Engineers, Inc. for the City Council, City of Lost River; January 1974 (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
33. Lost River: Long Range Capital Improvements and Finance Plan [Cover title: City of Lost River Feasibility Study] - by Pacific Architects and Engineers, Inc., Anchorage, Alaska; January 1974
34. Lost River - Miscellaneous; n.d., 1972
35. A Market and Financial Feasibility Study of: Columbia Glacier Lodge - Prepared by The McDowell Group, Management and Economic Consultants, Juneau, Alaska; January 1985
36. Master Plan For Park Central [Dallas] - Prepared for the Crow-Coker Realty Company by Hellmuth,
Obata and Kassabaum, Inc., Architects; November 1972
37. Master Plan of the University of Alaska - Prentiss French; May 1951
38. Nenana "New Town": Comprehensive Planning Studies - by Lutes and Amundson, Community Planners; and Professional & Technical Staff, Alaska State Housing Authority, Anchorage, Alaska; Dec. 31, 1968
39. "An Office Building Development Proposal, Anchorage, Alaska" - CCC/HOK; 1974 [elevations and floor plans for building planned in the Calais Subdivision, bordered by C St., 33rd, and 32nd.]
40. Petroleum Center [proposal? prospectus? for building on Spenard Road and West 31st Ave. in Anchorage]; n.d.
41. Planning for Action - Progress Report No. 2 - University of Alaska; August 1960
42. Planning for Action - Progress Report No. 3 - University of Alaska; October 1960
43. Planning for Action - Progress Report No. 4 - University of Alaska; October 1960
44. Planning for the Eighties - Cycle 5 - FY86 - Anchorage Community College; March 21, 1984
45. Program and Site Study: Fairbanks Municipal Buildings, Fairbanks, Alaska - Prepared for the City Council by Alaska Architectural & Engineering Co. and Edwin B. Crittenden, Architect, & Associates; January 31, 1955
46. Program For Sheldon Jackson Museum - by CCC Architects and Planners; 1982?
47. Project 80s; n.d., 1980
48. A Proposal To The City Of Anchorage For Consulting Services: Civic and Convention Center, Municipal Administrative Office Building, and Headquarters Library - CCC/HOK; 1971
49. Providence Hospital Project 90's: Schematic Design [CCC/HOK was one of the project consultants]; January 30, 1984
50. Rebuilding Anchorage: A Pre-Earthquake Central Business District Design Study; 1964
51. "Some Urban Design Options for Downtown Anchorage" - Robert Venturi; October 1982 [accompanied letter from Vincent Scully to Mayor Tony Knowles]
52. South Central Regional Correctional Institution, Anchorage, Alaska - Prepared for the State of Alaska, Department of Health and Welfare, Division of Corrections - Crittenden, Cassetta, Wirum & Cannon/Hellmuth, Obata & Cassabaum; January 1971
53. [Study analyzing three schemes which develop space for the legislative and executive branches of the Alaska State Government]; n.d.
54. "Toward a Better, Faster Process for Constructing University Facilities: Conference of Architects with University of Alaska and Consultants"; September 1970
55. Town Center Committee [Anchorage]; 1982
56. Tudor Center Business Park, Anchorage, Alaska: Master Development Plan and Design Guidelines - by CCC Architects; June 1984 [2 copies]
57. Tudor Centre Master Development Plan and Design Guidelines - CCC Architects & Planners; June 1984
58. University Libraries - CCWC & HOK designs (including UAA); n.d.
59. University of Alaska - Consulting Architects Progress Report - 3: Schematic Plan: Research and Advanced Study Area; Schematic Design: Science Research Laboratory - Lawrence Lackey; Knorr & Elliott; March 15, 1963 (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
60. University of Alaska - Supervising Architects Progress Report - 1: Student Housing Needs, Married Student Housing Area, Married Student Apartments, 450 Student Residence Hall - Lawrence Lackey; Knorr & Elliott; September 7, 1962 (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
61. University of Alaska - Supervising Architects Progress Report - Married Student Housing Area, Married Student Apartments, 450 Student Residence Hall - Lawrence Lackey; Knorr & Elliott; September 7, 1962 (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
Subseries 6k. Miscellaneous
Reference Materials; n.d., 1954, 1955, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965-1987.
1. AIA Documents - Instruction Sheets and Standard Forms; 1977-1985
2. AIA Public Relations - Sample Articles for Components - "Remodeling: Helpful Hints & Common Caveats: Part II"; n.d.; and "What is an Architect (and why do I need one)?"; n.d.
"Alaska & the Arctic Wilderness Adventures" - Mountain Travel, Inc. - Brochure; 1980?
"Alaska Native Land Rights - Keystone to Alaska's Future" - by John Borbridge, Jr. - Prepared for Presentation at the 11th Annual Convention, Alaska Chapter of American Institute of Architects; November 6, 1971
"Alaska's Tale of Three Cities: Quake Cleanup" - by Jessie Ash Arndt - p. 9 from The Christian Science Monitor; May 18, 1967
"Alaska's Walrus--Caught on Firing Line" - by John J. Burns - from The Great Lander Shopping News; February 13, 1980
"The American Environment" - by Ashok Davar - from ?; n.d.
3. American Society of Real Estate Counselors - Geographical and Alphabetical Directory; 1985
4. "Architectural Juries in Russia--A Practical Note" - from Architectural Record; February 1968
"Architectural Research Centers: An Annotated Directory" - William C. Miller - Council of Planning Librarians Exchange Bibliography #199; July 1971
"Architectural Research Centers: An Annotated Directory - Volume 2" - William C. Miller - Council of Planning Librarians Exchange Bibliography #333; October 1972
Architectural Services - Brochure - Washington State Council of Architects; n.d.
"Arctic Research Development Program - Fact Sheet"; n.d.
"The Assessment of Human Bioclimate: A Limited Review of Physical Parameters" - by H.E. Landsberg - World Meteorological Organization Technical Note No. 123; 1972
"Bank Officers Review New Headquarters Plans" - Newspaper Photo and Caption; n.d.
"Barrow and Kotzebue: Remote Disaster Areas or Self-Supporting Arctic Cities" - by Kevin Waring and Earl Finkler - pp. 40-43 from ?; n.d.
"Bethel Justice System Examined" - by Don Hunter - from the Anchorage Daily News; October 17, 1979
5. Bibliography - Resource Frontier Communities: Volume I - Center For Settlement Studies, The University of Manitoba - Series 3: Bibliography and Information; April 1969
6. Boreal Institute for Northern Studies - University of Alberta - Library Accessions List No. 20; August 1972
"British Planner Cites Reduced Land Values" - p. 29 from the Anchorage Times; June 1, 1976
Canada's Central Arctic; n.d.
Canstar Oil Sands Ltd. - Request for Proposals: Resource Communities Study (RCS); 1981
"Centre for Northern Studies and Research" - McGill University - Brochure; n.d.
Circumpolar Peoples - Brochure - Graham Rowley/External Affairs, Canada; n.d.
"Cities: They Won't Be Much Better Tomorrow, But the Day After..." and "City Game" - pp. 105-106 from Look; June 11, 1968
"The Client & the Architect" [copied cartoons of different phases of the relationship] - Osborn; n.d.
"Climate of Alaska" - NOAA - National Weather Service; n.d.
"Comparative Urban Studies: Course Syllabus and Reading Assignments" - E. Vlachos,
Colorado State College; n.d. [Has cover memo dated Oct. 31, 1972 from Barry Quinn to members of CCC/HOK]
"Computers for the Smaller Office: A Primer" - by Fred A. Stitt - pp. 47-51 from Architectural Record; February 1982
Defining the Cold Regions of the Northern Hemisphere: Technical Report 178 - by Roy E. Bates and Michael A. Bilello; June 1966
7. "Democracy in the New Towns: The Limits of Private Government" - pp. 379-412 from the University of Chicago Law Review - Vol. 36, No. 2; Winter 1969
"Development of the Soviet North: Economic-Geographical Problems" - by G.A. Agranat - from Alaska: Review of Social and Economic Conditions - Vol. XIV, No. 3; December 1977
"The Development Process" - Philip David - pp. 94-96 from ?; n.d. [has cover letter from the AIA Librarian to Cynthia Quinn dated March 12, 1976]
"Downtown Malls: A Blueprint for Success" - Michael C. Cunningham with Barbara Flynn - Chapter 10, pp. 164-178 from ?; n.d.
"Dramatic Developments Ahead" - by Walter J. Hickel - from Alaska Industry; March 1974
"Eagle River: Fearful Neighbors Make Critics", "Decision: Who Gets to Stay", "Inside:
Residents Want More Training", "Inmate X Journeys Through", "Eagle River: Old Prejudices Are Due for Airing", "Prison: Blends Into Surroundings", "Counseling: Reality Therapy Not for Everyone", "Prototype: The New Direction in Corrections", "Chief Raps with Men", "Sullivan Eyes Interim Panel", and "Workshop at Eagle River To Open Local Discussion" - pp. E1-E5 from the Anchorage Sunday Times; March 30, 1975
"Ecology and Northern Development" - by Ian McTaggart Cowan - pp. 3-12 from ?; n.d.
"Energy Audits" - Adams, Morgenthaler and Company, Inc.; November 4, 1986
"The Engineer and Decision Making" - Paper for Presentation at the Engineering Institute of Canada Northern Development Conference - by G.B. Williams; November 25, 1968
"Enter The European - V: Among the Eskimos" - by Diamond Jenness; "Enter the Anglican Missionaries" - by Rt. Rev. D.B. Marsh; "Enter the Roman Catholic Missionaries" - by Rev. Arthur Thibert; and "Enter the Fur Traders" - by P.A.C. Nichols - from The Beaver; Winter 1954
"Enter the European - V: Among the Eskimos (Part II) - by Jean Lesage - from The Beaver; Spring 1955
"Environmental Stress: An Ecological Approach with Special Reference to Housing" - by Mete Halit Turan - Abstract; n.d.
8. "A Few Words Can Make a Big Difference in a Contract" - by Gerard B. Gallagher, Legal Columnist - p. 39 from Building Design & Construction; January 1987
Finland And Its Students - The National Union of Students of Finland; 1962
"Foam Home" - from Architectural Record; November 1980
"Friends of the Museum Annual Show - Traditional Alaska Paintings and Water Colors" - Artist Information; n.d. [post-1982]
Frozen Assets - Arctic Foundations Inc. - Corporate Brochure?; n.d.
9. "General Management Considerations for Quality Control"; n.d.
10. "General Planning Implications for Coalanite???" - Draft; n.d.
"The Geoscope" - Chapter 5 from Critical Path by Buckminster Fuller; 1981
"The Great Alaska Feud: How the Massive Lands Bill is Caught Between Two Senators' Hatred for Each Other" - by Nicholas Lemann - from The Washington Post; September 30, 1979
"Guidelines for Architectural Programming of Office Settings" - C. Burgess Ledbetter -
Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory Special Report 77-5; March 1977
"I. How Technology Shapes Lifestyles: Advanced Urban Systems: A World Wide Opportunity" by John P. Eberhard from Habitat, Vol. 2, No. 1; 1977
"'How-to' Kit Downtown" [Anchorage] - by Lanie Fleischer and Mark Hinshaw - from ?; n.d.
"Light from the North: A Project for a Multi Media Theatre Show, A Travelling Entertainment That Will Give Theatre Audiences From Coast to Coast in Canada and the USA a Look at the People and the Land as They Have Never Before Seen Presented" - Progressive Draft -The Arctic Institute of North America; July 21, 1971
Lightweight Structures (A Compilation of Lecture Notes, Design Analysis, Photographs, and Sketches Pertaining to the Four Week Seminar on Lightweight Structures Conducted by Dr. Frei Otto in the Department of Architecture, UC Berkeley. This Report was Compiled by the Members of the Graduate Class in Architecture Participating in the Seminar, and was Edited by Dr. Otto) - Copy No. 85 of 600; May 1963
"List of Bibliographies in Print" - Council of Planning Librarians; 1972
11. "List of Bibliographies in Print: 1959 through 1974" - Council of Planning Librarians; 1977
"List of Bibliographies in Print: 1975 to Present" - Council of Planning Librarians; 1977?
The Master Builder: Facts About Your Architect - Pamphlet; n.d.
"More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Banking: A fairly brief chronicle in which we look at some of our early banking pioneers (including a gambler, confidence man and ex-convict from Oregon), and also see how the banks came to their present position of power -- with the added attraction, a perusal of the present owners, including two families who control over half the state's commercial banking assets." - by Flip Todd - from Alaska Industry; December 1976
12. Morrison Hershfield Limited Consulting Engineers - Corporate Brochure; n.d.
13. Morrison, Hershfield, Theakston & Rowan, Ltd. Company Brochure; 1981? [includes cover letter to EBC dated January 16, 1981]
14. "Multi-Purpose 3-D Building Component" - pp. 4-5 from Architecture Canada; April 5, 1971
"Must We Trust Luck to Have a Beautiful City?" - by Kit Crittenden - Alaska Forum column from ?; n.d. [about Anchorage Central Business District]
"The National Housing Programme Summary of the Report Submitted to the Ministry of the Interior May 28, 1976" - National Housing Board, Permanent Commission on Housing Production [Canada?]; 1976
"Native Corporations Strong Factor in Alaska Economy" - pp. 84-84 from Alaska Construction & Oil; April 1976
Naval Arctic Research Laboratory, Barrow, Alaska - Information Sheets; n.d.
"New Communities U.S.A.: Results of a National Study" - Executive Summary - Produced by Center for Urban and Regional Studies, UNC Chapel Hill for the Subcommittee on Housing of the Committee on Banking, Currency and Housing; House of Representa tives, 94th Congress, 1st Session; September 1975
"New Wein Terminal" - Copy of Newspaper Photo and Caption from p. 4A of the Anchorage Daily News; May 13, 1975 [page is adorned with additional drawings]
Nortec: A Division of ERT - Company Brochure; 1984
"Northern Research Activities - 1967" - Canadian Research Centre for Anthropology; 1967
"Oil-Fired Snow Melter" - p. 16 from ?; n.d.
"Organization of Individual Aided Self-Help Housing Projects in Puerto Rico" - Ideas and Methods Exchange No. 55 - Housing and Home Finance Agency, International Housing Service; January 1959
"Part I: Sources of Research Information"; n.d.
15. "A People in Peril" - A Special Reprint from the Anchorage Daily News; 1985? (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
16. "Percentage for Public Art Program Procedures" - Alaska Statute 35.27.010-030, Amended; April 1, 1978
Polar Deserts and Modern Man - Table of Contents - Terah L. Smiley and James H. Zumberge, Editors; n.d.
"Precedent-Setting Swap in Vermont: A Small Town Uses the Concept of Development Rights Transfer to Build Itself a New Core" - Leonard U. Wilson - from ?; n.d.
17. Proceedings - Symposium on Resource Frontier Communities - December 16, 1968 - Center for Settlement Studies, Univ. of Manitoba - Series 4: Proceedings; 1968
"Professor Assesses Arctic Engineering" [about Dr. E.F. Rice] - by Dennis Cowals - from the Anchorage Times?; n.d.
18. "Progress Report, Goddard M.A. Program" - Submitted by Michael Jones; January 1976 [includes note to EBC, his mentor]
19. "Proposal to Tow Giant Iceberg to Arabia Studied" - from the Los Angeles Times; October 18, 1976
"Quality of Life and the Preservation of Lifestyles" - by Max C. Brewer; July 3, 1975
"Region-Village Relations Under The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act" - by Monroe E. Price - pp. 58-79 from UCLA-Alaska Law Review - Vol. 5, No. 58?; 1975
"Research and the Man-Made Environment" - by John P. Eberhard - from Man-Environment Systems, Vol. 2, No. 2; March 1972
"The School Budget" - by Jim Car - pp. 7-9 from the Anchorage Daily Times; April 6, 1970
20. Siberia 1971: A Report on the Visit of the Honourable Jean Chretien, Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development and Official Delegation to the Soviet Union - by Walter Slipchenko; July-August 1971
21. "A Sketch of the Planning-Building Process for Columbia, Maryland" - Morton Hoppenfeld - pp. 398-409 from the AIP Journal; November 1967
"Ski Away the Summer in Alaska" - by Pat Orvis - from the Boston Sunday Globe; February 6, 1977
"Some Policy Considerations in the Drafting of New Towns Legislation" - Daniel R. Mandelker - pp. 71-87 from the Washington University Law Quarterly; 1965
"Standard Method for Measuring Floor Area in Office Buildings" - American National Standard, ANSI Z65.1-1980 (Revision of ANSI Z65.1-1972); Reprinted May 1981 by Building Owners and Managers Association International
"Startup of World-Class Zinc Mine Depends on World Metals Market" from Alaska Business; June 1983
"State Aid Bill 'Too Costly,' Says Sponsor" - from Anchorage Times; n.d.
Statement of the Architect's Services - American Institute of Architects; August 1971
"Sun Will Heat and Cool Office Building" - from ?????; n.d.
"Super Sky" skylight advertisement; 1985
22. Supplement To The Building
Code For The North - Issued by the Associate Committee on
the National Building Code of Canada; 1968?
23. "A Systems Approach to Alaskan Transportation" - pp. 2-3 from The Northern Engineer; n.d.
"The Tatitlek Adventure Playground" - Project proposal?; n.d.
"Technics: Exterior Wall Panels: Skin Deep" - from Progressive Architecture 2:78; n.d.
"...This Land Is Ours" - by David Perlman - pp. 5-6 from the San Francisco Chronicle; November 9, 1970
"Time Saver Tips"
"A Towering Figure in Architecture" [Philip Johnson] - Adam Platt - pp. 8-16 from Insight; February 23, 1987
"Transportation to the Waiting Wealth"; n.d.
"Treating Wood with Respect: Decks, Trim, and Interior" - by Barry Peale; "Varnished Truth: Brightwork" - by Bob Payne; and "The Antifouling Formula" - by Freeman Pittman - pp. 28-34 of Sail; April 1984
Tropical Architecture - by C.P. Kukreja - Selections; n.d.
Undermanning and Architectural Accessibility - by C. Burgess Ledbetter - Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory Special Report 213; October 1974
Understanding Native Claims - by Phil Holdsworth - Reprinted from Alaska Construction & Oil Report; March-May 1972
University of Alaska - AEEL (Arctic Environmental Engineering Laboratory) Annual Report; 1969
"Valdez... A City Reborn" - from ED:W; May-June 1970
24. The Village People [compilation of Anchorage Daily News articles]; 1966
"Villager Writes Book About St. Lawrence Island" - by Helen Gillette - p. 10 from the Anchorage Times; September 27, 1976
"Violins and Bush Flying: Ruth Hurst Mixes Both for Fun and Profit" - by Joe Rychetnik - pp. 21-22 from the Daily News; December 28, 1969
Visual Arts Center of Alaska - Spectrum '85 Brochure; 1985
"Which Man and Which World?: Montreal's Architecture" - by Ralph Erskine - p.2 from The Montreal Star; March 2, 1968
Your Building and Your Architect - by Donald Canty, American Institute of Architects; n.d. [2 copies]
"Zoning: Innovative Approach" - from Lake Placid News; November 6, 1975 [mentions HOK associates]
25. Miscellaneous Bits and Pieces (Untitled pages, cartoons, etc.); n.d.
Subseries 6l. North Nord;
North; March-June 1968; March-June, September-December 1970; January-April 1971
North Nord; July-August, November-December 1971; January-February, May-December 1972; March-December 1973; January-October 1974; January-October 1975; January-April 1976; November-December 1977; September-October 1977; March-April 1977
North Nord; April, October, December 1978; Spring, Summer, Fall 1979; Spring, Summer, Winter 1980; Summer 1981; Spring, Summer, Winter 1982; January 1983, Spring 1983 [Vol. XXX, No. 1]; Vol. XXX, No. 2 [n.d.]
Subseries 6m. Northern Construction;
n.d., 1947, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1955-1958, 1960-1985.
1. "An Address by Mr. K.W. Stairs ... to the Arctic Institute of North America Conference on Community Development in the Middle North"; February 26-28, 1969
"Adfreezing and Frost Heaving of Foundations" by E. Penner and K.N. Burn - Canadian Building Digest 128; August 1970
"Air Conditioning with Plenty of Chilled Water" - Donald D. MacInnes, Jr. - from Air Conditioning, Heating and Ventilating; March 1969 [2 copies]
"Aklavik--A Problem and Its Solution" - Address delivered by R. Gordon Robertson to the 26th Annual General Meeting of the Canadian Geographical Society; February 24, 1955
"Alaska Arctic Environmental Investigations and Research in Progress 1970, with status of selected 1969 investigations and research" - Compiled by Phyllis Rhodes, Federal Field Committee for Development Planning in Alaska; 1970?
"Alaska Engineer Develops Method of Building Foundation in Permafrost" - from Pacific Builder & Engineer; December 1961 [attached to "Stabilizing Permafrost and Foundations with the Thermo-Valve System" by Erwin L. Long and "Long Thermo- Valve Foundations: Footing and Column Types"]
2. Alaska Urban Design Forum - Booklet produced using transcripts from forum held October 14-15, 1977 [includes Edwin Crittenden]
Alaskan Industry Experience in Arctic Sewage Treatment - Working Paper No. 13 - Environmental Protection Agency, Water Quality Office, Alaska Water Laboratory, College, Alaska; May 1971
"Alaskan Snow Loads" - by Wayne Tobiasson and Robert Redfield - Presented at the 24th Alaskan Science Conference; August 1973
"Alaska's Future $800 Million City" - p. 27 from Building Design & Construction; January 1970
"Answers to Ten Commonly Asked Questions on Subterranean Dwellings" - by Dr. L.L. Boyer; n.d.
"Apartments Save Money In Other Northern Countries" - from the Anchorage Daily Times?; September 26, 1978
"Architecture and Town Planning in the North" - by Ralph Erskine - pp. 165-171 from The Polar Record - Vol. 14, No. 89; 1968
"L'Architecture 'Presse-Bouton'" - pp. 23-27 from Montreal; Juillet 1967
"The Arctic Architectural Environment (A Proposed Course Addition)" - Draft Proposal for the University of Alaska, Anchorage; n.d.
3. "Arctic Bibliography"; December 1970
4. "Arctic Centre: Introduction for a Competition of Ideas" - Arctic Museum and the Lapland Provincial Museum; 1983?
"Arctic Climate Shapes Shopping Center Design" - from Building Design and Construction; September 1976
"Arctic Dock Piles Driven Through Ice" and "Ocean Floor Pockmarks May Limit Oil Platform Design" - from ?????; n.d.
5. "Arctic Engineering and Construction Techniques as Observed in: Prudhoe Bay, Alaska; Inuvik, Canada; Frobisher Bay, Canada; Godthab, Greenland; Sukkertoppen, Greenland; Thule, Greenland; Sondre Stromfjord, Greenland" - DRAFT - Prepared by CCC/HOK Architects & Planners; n.d.
6. "Arctic Engineering and Construction Techniques as Observed in: Prudhoe Bay, Alaska; Inuvik, Canada; Frobisher Bay, Canada; Godthab, Greenland; Sukkertoppen, Greenland; Thule, Greenland; Sondre Stromfjord, Greenland" - DRAFT - Prepared by CCC/HOK Architects and Planners; 1972
7. "Arctic Engineering Know-How Gets Acid Test at Thule" - pp. 31-35 from Civil Engineering; September 1953 [2 copies]
Arctic Evaluation of a Small Physical-Chemical Sewage Treatment Plant - H.J. Coutts - Working Paper No. 16 - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency National Environmental Research Center, Arctic Environmental Research Laboratory, College, Alaska; October 1972
8. Arctic Habitation - by Harold Strub; 1971
9. "Arctic Logistics Support Technology for Water Supply, and for Sewage and Solid Waste Disposal" - A.J. Alter - pp. 261-265 from Arctic Logistics Support Technology: Proceedings of a Symposium Held at Hershey, Pennsylvania, November 1-4, 1971; n.d.
Arctic Sanitary Engineering - Amos J. Alter - Federal Housing Administration; 1950
10. Arctic Snowdrifting - Submitted to NWT Dept. of Public Works, Architectural Division by C.J. Williams of Morrison Hershfield Limited, Consulting Engineers; September 10, 1984 [includes 50 photographs in the back of the publication]
11. "The Arctic's Extremes Require a Rethinking of Design Issues. ..." - from Progressive Architecture, 11:82
Assimilative Capacity of Arctic Rivers - by Eldor W. Schallock, Ernst W. Mueller, Ronald C. Gordon - Working Paper No. 7 - Federal Water Quality Administration, Alaska Water Laboratory, College, Alaska; August 1970
12. "Barrow Models Arctic Design" - from the Anchorage Daily Times; n.d.
"Barrow's Houses Come Home" - Newspaper Photo and Caption; n.d.
"Bethel Gets New Homes" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 21 of the Anchorage Daily Times; January 13, 1975
"Bethel Progress Report: Medical Facility Enclosed as Hoffman Directs Winter Work Schedule" - from ?????; n.d.
"Bibliography: Federal Field Committee for Development Planning in Alaska (Includes In- House and Contractor Publications"; March 1970
"Bibliography for RFP: being a compilation of general works and research dealing with the topics of quality of life and new towns appropriate to northern resource community development"; n.d.
"A Bibliography On Cold Weather Construction" - Compiled by D.C. Tibbetts, Revised by G.G. Boileau; November 1965
"Big Bubble Houses Cement Plant for Yukon Bridge" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - from the Anchorage Daily Times?; November 5, 1974
"Building Construction Technology Under Wintertime Conditions: Recent Experience in Interior Alaska" by F. Lawrence Bennett - from Building under Cold Climates and on Permafrost: Collection of Papers from a U.S.-Soviet Joint Seminar, Leningrad, U.S.S.R.; n.d.
13. Building Freeze Alarm System: Test Report - by J.S. Strandberg Consulting Engineers - Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Research Report; December 1982
14. "Building in Northern Communities: 1974" [Excerpts] - Man in the North Technical Paper; June 1974
15. Building In Northern Communities: A Conference/Workshop - Program; May 7-11, 1973
16. Building in the North - by Eb Rice; 1975
"Buildings for the North" - by H.B. Dickens - Technical Note No. 207 - National Research Council of Canada, Division of Building Research; December 1955
"Camus 2 - Camus 4: Industrial System of Construction with Light Elements"; May 1977
"Canada's Country Ghettos: Indian and Metis Communities in the Prairies" - pp. 52-59 from Architecture Canada; September 1968
17. Canadian Building Digests 1-100 (May 1968)
18. Canadian Building Digests 101-150 (April 1975)
19. Canadian Building Digests 151-200 (April 1979)
20. "Case Study: Relocation of the Town of Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories, Canada" - Boris Culjat? - from Climate and the Built Environment in the North?; 1975?
21. "City Life and City Problems Come to the Antarctic" - by Robert Reinhold - from the New York Times; December 22, 1967 [has cover memo from Norman Williams, Jr. to EBC]
22. Climate and the Built Environment in the North - Boris Culjat; 1975
23. Climate and the Built Environment in the North - Excerpts - Boris Culjat; 1975
24. "Cold Region Environmental Health Practices" - Alaska Department of Health & Welfare, Division of Public Health, Branch of Environmental Health; n.d.
"Cold Regions Engineering Symposium Abstracts"; n.d.
25. "Cold Regions Science and Engineering - Part I: Environment - Section A: General - Selected Aspects of Geology and Physiography of the Cold Regions" - by S. Russell Stearns - Cold Regions Research & Engineering Laboratory; July 1965 [2 copies]
26. "Cold Weather Construction" - AIA Library Bibliography - Periodical Articles in the AIA Library - No. 340; 1984
"Cold Weather Masonry Construction" by J.I. Davison - Canadian Building Digest 123; March 1970
"Concepts for Planning & Design in the North" - by Mark Fryer and Richard A. Nelson - Presented at the "Building in the North" Conference; May 1973
Condensation in the Home - Better Building Bulletin 1 - Margaret Gerard; June 1949
"Construction Details Bared on Thule Air Base Project" - pp. 21-23 from Engineering News- Record; October 2, 1952
"Construction in the U.S.S.R." - by P.J. Sereda and E.G. Swenson - Technical Paper No. 240 of the National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from Habitat, Vol. IX, No. 3 and 4; 1966); January 1967
"Construction Techniques for When It's 20 Below" - by Mary Clare Langan - pp. 60-61, 76, 78 from Alaska Industry; October 1975
"Construction Under Arctic and Sub-Arctic Conditions" by John M. Amundson; n.d.
27. "Construction Under Arctic And Sub-Arctic Conditions In the State of Alaska" - by Richard F. Maris; n.d.
28. "Construction Weathers Winter" - pp. 10-15 from Alaska Construction; November- December 1965
"Control of Snow Drifting About Buildings" by P.A. Schaerer - Canadian Building Digest 146; February 1972
"Cozy Labs Under Ice and Snow" - pp. 128-132 from Business Week; September 16, 1961
Depth and Time of Freezing of a Silty Soil Under Deciduous Forest Near Fairbanks, Alaska - Working Paper No. 12 - Environmental Protection Agency, Water Quality Office, Alaska Water Laboratory, College, Alaska; May 1971
29. Design and Construction Experience in Cities in the Extreme North (Using Noril'sk as an Example): Draft Translation 440 (English Title) - by L.G. Nazarova, et al; 1973; Translated in 1974
30. "Design and Construction of Practical Sanitation Facilities for Small Alaskan Communities" - by W. L. Ryan - pp. 721-729 from "Session VII: Principles of Construction in Perma frost Regions" [conference unknown]; n.d.
"Design and Site Considerations for Harsh Climate Communities" - pp. 4-6 from Northern Development, Vol. XII, No. 1; January/February 1980
"Design Approach - Arctic Environments"; n.d.
"Design for Energy Conservation in the Sub-Arctic (with Special Reference to Fermont)" - Norbert Schoenauer; March 1977
31. "Design of a Hypothetical Resource Community in Northern Alaska" - CCC Architects; n.d. [2 copies]
32. "Design of Floors for Arctic Shelters" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska HSC 33; April 1975
33. "Design of Foundations
in Areas of Significant Frost Penetration" by Linell, Lobacz
and Stevens from Building under Cold Climates and on Permafrost:
Collection of Papers from a U.S.-Soviet Joint Seminar, Leningrad,
34. "Design of Roofs for Northern Residential Construction" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska P-559; 1973
"Design of the Built Environment in Cold Regions" - by Edwin B. Crittenden - from Proceedings of the Specialty Conference on The Northern Community: A Search for a Quality Environment - Ted S. Vinson, ed.; 1981
"Designing for Alaska" - Donald D. MacInnes, Jr. - from Air Conditioning, Heating and Ventilating; March 1969 [2 copies]
"A Directory of Building Research in Canada 1961" - Technical Paper No. 131 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; February 1962
"The Division of Building Research: What It Is, What It Does" - National Research Council of Canada; n.d.
"Dome Covers Amenities at South Pole Research Station" - from the Anchorage Times; March 20, 1975
"Domed City Expected in 12 Years" - p. 12 from ENR; July 29, 1971
Economic Commission for Europe, Committee on Housing, Building and Planning - symposium on Human Settlements Planning and Development in the Arctic - "Main Issues for Discussion" - Background Note Prepared by G. Rosendahl; 1970
35. Economic Commission for Europe, Committee on Housing, Building and Planning - Symposium on Human Settlements Planning and Development in the Arctic - National Monographs Submitted by the Delegation of Denmark: Institution Building/Housing, The Physical Planning/Godthab--An Example of Planning, Sea Transport/Aviation/ Telecommuni cation/Water Supply/Electricity Supply/Road Sys tem/Sewerage and Surface Treatment/Refuse Removal and Disposal, Greenland; August 18-25, 1978
36. Economic Commission for Europe, Committee on Housing, Building and Planning - Symposium on Human Settlements Planning and Development in the Arctic - National Monograph Submitted by the Delegation of the United States of America; June 5, 1978
"The Effect of Wind on the Design of Arctic Facilities" by John N. Crittenden - Term Paper for Arctic Engineering CE603, University of Alaska; April 1981
An Energy Saving Alaskan House: How to Live Warm at 50 Below! - by Walt Pedersen; 1978
"Eskimos: Out of the Igloo, Into the Cold" - by Robert H. Estabrook - p. A3 from the Washington Post; March 25, 1970
37. "The Evolution and Nature of the Contemporary Settlement Pattern in a Selected Area of the Yukon Territory" - by Frank Duerden; March 1971
38. "Exposure to Cold" - Outline?; n.d.
Field Evaluation Site For Ground Ice Detection: Final Report - by K. Kawasaki, V. Gruol, T.E. Osterkamp, and R.W. Jurick - Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Research Report; March 1983
"Frobisher Bay Boom Ordered Suspended" - from the Globe and Mail; June 13, 1963
"Frobisher Bay, N.W.T.: Federal Government Project for a New Town" - pp. 44-49 from The Canadian Architect; November 1958
"Games That Buildings Play With Winds" - Ralph W. Crump - pp. 38-40 from AIA Journal; March 1974
"Garden Cities in the North?" - by J.W. Francis - and "Housing the Soviet North" - by Yakov Kolker - from North - Vol. XVII, No. 2; March-April 1970
39. "Heat Loss and Condensation In Northern Residential Construction" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska P-558; November 1972
"Heat Stored Under Building Cuts Operating Costs" - p. 20 from ENR; March 14, 1974
Heat Transfer in Cold Climates [Chapters 1 and 2] - by Virgil J. Lunardini; n.d.
"Heating the Ideal Arctic House" - pp. 30-38 of ?; n.d.
"Here's a Totally New Method of Sewage Treatment" - from ?; n.d.
40. How to Build an Igloo - Koppers Building Products; 1966
How to Treat Fence Posts by Double Diffusion - by R.H. Baechler - Report No. 1955 - U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory; n.d.
41. Human Settlement in the Canadian North: A Delphi Survey - by B.E. Novak and S. Glouberman; July 1976 [cover letter to EBC dated September 16, 1976 thanking him for participating as a panel member in the URBANorth Delphi Study on Human Settlements in the Canadian North]
42. "Humidity in Canadian Buildings" - by N.B. Hutcheon - Canadian Building Digest 1; Jan. 1960; Corrected May 1968
"Ice Cap Site Gets Supplies" - Newspaper photo and caption from ?; n.d.
Ice Floe Shelters/Construction Method Study: Preliminary Report - by Vetle Jorgensen and David Cahill - Portable Observations Laboratories for Arctic Research (POLAR) Report No. 1; September 1970 [Letter dated Nov. 2, 1970 from Vetle Jorgensen to EBC tucked into the front]
Ice Floe Shelters/Studies On T-3, Fletcher's Ice Island - Portable Observation Laboratories for Arctic Research (POLAR) Report No. 2 - by Vetle Jorgensen; June 1971
"Ice, Snow and Permafrost Testing Equipment" - Geotest Instrument Company Catalog; 1981
"Icy Blast of Spring: Double-Trouble in Arctic" - by Ted Morris - from the Toronto Daily Star; May 18, 1963
IL Info - Institut fur leichte Flachentragwerke (IL) - No. 4; May 1, 1971
"Imagine Ice Skating on Fourth Avenue!..." - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 6 from the Anchorage Daily News; June 19, 1966
"Inactivation of Human Wastes by Ionizing Radiation: Concept and Feasibility" - M.H.F. Friedman and C. Earl Albrecht - pp. 665-667 from the Archives of Environmental Health, Vol. 17; October 1968
"Indigenous Architecture: Architecture in the Subarctic Region", "The Challenge of the High Latitudes", and "Community Design for Production, for Publication or for the People?" - Ralph Erskine; 1964?
"Indigenous Architecture: Architecture in the Subarctic Region" - by Ralph Erskine; n.d.
"Inflated Dome Will Enclose Entire Campus" - p. 24 from ENR; November 19, 1970
43. "Influence of Orientation on Exterior Cladding" by C.R. Crocker - Canadian Building Digest 126; June 1970
Instructions for the Design of Townsites, Factories, Buildings and Structures in the Northern Construction-Climatic Zone - State Committee of the Council of Ministers for Building Problems, Moscow - Translated by V. Poppe; Written 1967, Translated 1972
Inverted = Right?: The Problem of Roof Insulation and Waterproofing - by H. Spieker - National Research Council of Canada Technical Translation 1599 - from Bauwelt 62 (6): 226-233; 1971, 1972
44. "Is There A Dividing Line Between Non-Frost-Susceptible and Frost-Susceptible Soils?" - by Alfred Ducker - from Strasse und Autobahn, (3): 78-82, 1956 - Translated by D.A. Sinclair - National Research Council of Canada, Technical Translation 722; 1958
"It Only Looks Like A Surfer's Dream" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 28 of the Anchorage Daily Times; August 14, 1969
"Kitimat: Instant City Lacks Roots" - Newspaper Clipping from ?; n.d.
"List of Publications" - National Research Council of Canada, Division of Building Research; 1972-1973
"List of Publications on Permafrost and Building in the North" - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; September 1971
45. "List of Publications on Permafrost and Building in the North" - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; December 1972
"Lost River Port Appears Feasible" - p. 3 from the Anchorage Daily Times; May 10, 1973
"Man and His Thermal Environment: Physiological Adjustments to Conditions and Assess ment of Com fort in Build ings" - by W. Bruce - Tech nical Paper No. 64 of the Division of Building Research, National Research Council, Canada; February 1960 [title page and table of contents only]
"Modular Post Offices" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 10 from the Anchorage Daily News; May 9, 1973
Monitoring the Sanitary Bacteriological Quality of Potable Water Supplies - by Ronald C. Gordon - Working Paper No. 10 - Federal Water Quality Administration, Alaska Water Laboratory, College, Alaska; October 1970
"Narrative Climatological Summary" - Anchorage; 1972?
46. "The Neglected Hazards of Snow and Cold" - by Ian Mackinlay - pp. 52-59 from AIA Journal; February 1983 [2 copies]
"New Alaskan Was Looking for a 'Fresh Slant' to Our Logging Camp Series--So We Grabbed a Housewife-Author Off the City Streets and Whisked Her Into Whale Pass. This Is Her Story..." - by Judy Whittaker - Part I - pp. 19-20 from New Alaskan; October 1967
"New Homes Rise in Bethel" - from the Anchorage Daily Times; November 12, 1968
"A New School for Valdez, Alaska" - p. 1 from The Latest Batch - from Associated Sand & Gravel; October 1976
"New Shopping Center--Built to Take 60-Below Weather" - from the Anchorage Times; March 5, 1976
"A 'New Town' Scratched in Arctic Ice" - by S.D.M. - Newspaper article from ?????; n.d.
New Towns: A Selected Annotated Bibliography - compiled by Jean Viet - Reports and Papers in the Social Sciences no.12; 1960
"New-Type Arctic Building Set for Mass Production" - from ?????; n.d.
A New Water Tube Level for Measuring the Settlement of Buildings - by F.L. Peckover - Technical Report No. 11 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; February 1952
"Northern Cities in Europe and Asia" - by A.G. Moffatt; n.d.
"Northern Construction: Siting & Foundations"; n.d.
47. Northern Development; January/February, March/April, Summer 1980
48. The Northern Engineer; Fall 1969; Spring, Fall-Winter 1977; Fall 1983; Spring 1984; Fall 1985; Summer-Winter 1986
49. Passive Solar Heating In Alaska - by John P. Zarling - Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Research Report; June 1980
"Paving the Air Strip at Point Barrow" - John Burdick - p. 11 from ?????; n.d.
"Performance of the Thule Hangar Soil Cooling Systems" - by Wayne Tobiasson (Reprint from Permafrost: The North American Contribution to the Second International Conference; July 1973); 1973
"Perimeter Plenum Solves Arctic Cold Wall Problem" - Paul B. Crews - from Air Conditioning, Heating and Ventilating; March 1969 [2 copies]
Permafrost and Buildings - J.A. Pihlainen - Better Building Bulletin No. 5 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; September 1955
"Permafrost and Foundations" - by G.H. Johnston - Canadian Building Digest 64; April 1965; Corrected May 1968
Permafrost: Engineering Design and Construction - Table of Contents and Selected Pages - edited by G.H. Johnston; n.d.
"Permafrost Investigations in Canada" - by R.F. Legget, H.B. Dickens, and R.J.E. Brown - Technical Paper No. 122 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from Geology of the Arctic, Vol. II; 1961); October 1961
"Permafrost: Its Care & Feeding" - pp. 8-14 from ?????; n.d.
"Permafrost Research" - by R.F. Legger - Technical Paper No. 40 of the National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from Arctic Research Special Publication No. 2 of the Arctic Institute of North America); n.d.
"Pingo in the Mackenzie Delta, N.W.T." - J.A. Pihalinen, R.J.E. Brown and R.F. Legget - Research Paper No. 27 of the National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from Bulletin of the Geological Society of America - Vol. 67; August 1956); 1956?
50. "Planned Amenity Offsets Churchill Falls Bleakness" - pp. 30-31 from ENR; January 15, 1970
"'Planned City Isn't Necessary'" - Newspaper article from ?; n.d.
"The Planned Non-Permanent Community: An Approach to Development of New Towns Based on Mining Activity" - by V.J. Parker - Thesis; June 1963
"Planning, Building, and Managing New Towns on the Resource Frontier" - Chapter 3 of ?, pp. 54-74 - by Ira M. Robinson; n.d.
"Planning Communities for the North" - A Panel at the 20th Alaska Science Conference presented by Joseph H. Fitzgerald; August 24-27, 1969
"Plywood Makes Arctic Housing Safe, Strong: Prudhoe Bay" - Case History - American Plywood Association; n.d.
51. "Polar Housing" by Michel Louis Roger Pillet - M.A. Thesis; n.d.
52. Polarbo: Housing for Arctic Conditions - Polarconsult, Copenhagen; 198?
Polarbo 2 - Polarconsult; n.d.
"Policies of the Alaska Department of Health Concerning Individual Water Supply and Sewage Disposal Systems" - Document HSE-15; June 1947
53. Preliminary Work Toward Building Form Siting and Orientation in Subarctic Climates - by Richard C. Speers; September 1976
54. "Problems of the North: A Translation of 'Problemy Severa'" - No. 7; 1963
"Problems of Water Supplies in Severe Climatic Conditions (Cold Climates)" - by Amos J. Progressive Architecture; June 1967
"Protection of Utilities Against Permafrost in Northern Canada" - by S.C. Copp, C.B. Crawford and J.W. Grainge - Research Paper No. 24 of the National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from the Journal of American Water Works Association - Vol. 48, No. 9; September 1956); September 1956
"Pump Speeds Royal Inn Job" - p. 23 from Alaska Construction & Oil Report; July 1970
"A Report on Permafrost Surveying (Manchuria, 1943)" - by Ukichiro Nakaya and Juji Sugaya - Technical Translation TT-382 from Teion-Kagaku - Vol. 2, 1949 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; 1953
55. "Report on Visit to the Soviet Union by U.S. Team for the Project 'Enhancement of the Urban Environment in Far North Areas' Under US-USSR Agreement on Environmental Protection, September 7-20, 1975" - DRAFT - by Edwin B. Crittenden and Victor Fischer; May 14, 1976 (Copy 1)
56. "Requirements for Rural and Urban Housing Financed by the Farmers Home
Administra tion" - C.I. Branton - University of Alaska, Alaska Agricultural Experiment Station; April 1963
"Rest Home Sinks Slowly Into the Permafrost..." - from the Anchorage Times; May 1976
"A Review of Permafrost Investigations in Canada" - by R.J.E. Brown - Technical Paper No. 146 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research (Reprinted from pp. 162-165 from The Canadian Geographer - Vol. VI, Nos. 3-4)
"A Russian Proposal for an Arctic Community to Accommodate 1500 Persons"; n.d.
Saglouc: Community Center Study: Man In the North Technical Paper; October 1972
"Sewage, Alaska" - by Betzi Woodman - pp. 26-34 from Alaska Construction & Oil; April 1973
"Seward's Success: It's Getting Bigger" - Newspaper article from ?; n.d.
57. Sewerage And Sewage Disposal In Cold Regions - Amos J. Alter - Cold Regions Science and Engineering Monograph III-C5b; October 1969 [2 copies]
58. Siberia 1971 - Chapter 8: Soviet Development in the North?; 1971?
59. Siberia And Alaska 1974: Report on Technical Exchange Visits of Environmental Workgroups of USA and USSR for Cooperative Protection of Northern Ecosystems - Harold T. Jorgenson; August and September 1974
60. Single-Enterprise Community Studies in Northern Canada - by L.B. Siemens - Center for Settlement Studies, University of Manitoba - Series 5: Occasional Paper No. 7; 1973
61. "Snow Loads on Roofs" by B. Peter and W.R. Schriever - Canadian Building Digest 37; January 1963
Snow Load Studies - Housing Research Paper 19 - Housing and Home Finance Agency, Office of the Administrator, Division of Housing Research; May 1952
62. "Soil Sampling in Permafrost Areas" - Technical Paper No. 155 - National Research Council, Canada, Division of Building Research; July 1963
Solar Clips - Vol. 8, No. 9; September 1983
Solar Energy Potential In Alaska - by Richard D. Seifert and John P. Zarling; March 1978
63. Solid Waste Management In Cold Regions - State of Alaska Dept. of Health and Welfare - Scientific Research Data and Reports, Vol. 2, No. 2; August 1969 [2 copies]
64. "Someday Gravel Pads May Be Only 1 Ft. Thick" - pp. 44-45 from Alaska Construction & Oil; November 1976
Soviet Arctic articles (stapled together):
"Arctic Town Planned Under Enormous Dome"; n.d.
"Soviet Northern Nationalities--How They Live" - by Evgeni Pshenichnikov; 1966?
"A City Under a Single Roof" by B. Yegorov; June 17, 1966
"In the Far North" by D. Komarovsky; September 5, 1967
"Murmansk--Capital City of the Arctic" by Anatoli Antonov; n.d.
"Following the Trail of the Golden Reindeer"; n.d.
"Where Russia Starts"; n.d.
Soviet Northern Development, With Some Alaskan Parallels and Contrasts - Terrence Armstrong - ISEGR Occasional Papers [UAF], No. 2; October 1970
"Soviets Design Unique Buildings for Far North" - by Yuri Kirillov - p. 20 from Alaska Industry; July 1973
"Space-age Hospital Opens in Bethel" - by Jeanne Abbott - from the Anchorage Daily News; n.d.
"Special Considerations for Building in Alaska" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska Publication No. P-952; 1974
"Special Design Conditions for Alaska" - J. Donald Kroeker - from Air Conditioning, Heating and Ventilating; March 1969 [2 copies]
"Straightforward Barrow Project Becomes Not-So-Simple Job" - by Betzi Woodman - pp. 34-39 from Alaska Construction & Oil; December 1979
"The Sun Can Heat Our Homes--Even in the North" - by Richard A. Mirth - pp. 3-10 from The Northern Engineer - Vol. 6, No. 3; n.d.
"Sunlight Data for Anchorage, Alaska" - E.B. Crittenden Architects & Assoc.; n.d.
"Suspended Basement for Permafrost Areas" - from Practical Builder; October 1966
"10 Tons of Fabric Lifted, Joined to Form Tent-like Student Center" - from ENR; June 1972
"That Sinking Feeling: Arctic Cures for Collapsing Buildings" - by Brad Matsen - pp. 70- 71 from Alaska Airlines Magazine; July 1985
"Thaw-Blast Method Prepares Permafrost Foundation for Alaska Power Plant" - by Robert W. Waterhouse and A. Nelson Sills - pp. 28-31 from Civil Engineering; February 1952
"These Are Busy Arctic Scenes" [ad for Air-Tech heated air supported structures]; n.d.
"This is Radisson Designed for the North: James Bay New Town!" by Pierre Niedlispacher from North Nord; November/December 1977 [2 copies]
"Three Methods of Building A Snow Road" - Newspaper clipping; n.d.
"Tips on Insulating An Existing House" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska P-560; October 1974
65. "Transportation And
Northern Development" - by Arthur V. Mauro; n.d.
"The Trouble with Winter: A Noted Architect/Skier Pinpoints Some Practical Steps for Avoiding the Common Ailments of Much Mountain Architecture--Ice Dams, Frozen Pipes, Dripping Decks...and How to Avoid Them" - by Henrik Bull - from Ski Area Management; Spring 1973
"Two Lectures by Ralph Erskine: The Challenge of the High Latitudes; and Community Design for Production, for Publication or for the People?" - Ralph Erskine; 1964?
66. Two Rivers Passive Solar Design Analysis: Interim Report - by J.S. Strandberg - Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Research Report; December 28, 1981 [2 copies]
67. "Typical Cooling System for an On-Grade Structure" - Diagram; n.d.
"Typical Wall Section for Northern Construction" - Drawing; n.d.
"Urban Development in the Arctic" - by Gunnar P. Rosendahl - pp. 38-42 of ?; n.d.
"Vancouver" - p. 12 from Architecture Plus; April 1973
"Vapor Barriers" - pp. 39-45 from ?; n.d.
"Vapour Barriers in Home Construction" - by G.O. Handegord - Canadian Building Digest 9; September 1960
"Walls, Windows, Doors & Floors"; n.d.
"Waste Management In The North" - by Eb Rice and Amos J. Alter - pp. 59-66 from ?; n.d.
"Water and Waste Systems for North Slope, Alaska - 1" - Amos J. Alter; April 1970
"Water Pollution in Alaska: Present and Future" - Frederick B. Lotspeich - pp. 1239-1245 from Science, Vol. 166; December 5, 1969
Water Quality Management Research Needs for Alaska - by Sidnet E. Clark - Working Paper No. 6 - Federal Water Quality Administration, Alaska Water Laboratory, College, Alaska; August 1970
68. Water Supply In Cold Regions - Amos J. Alter - Cold Regions Science and Engineering Monograph III-C5a; January 1969 [2 copies]
69. "Water Supply In The North" - by Eb Rice and Amos J. Alter - pp. 51-58 from ?; n.d.
"Whatever Happened to the Plan to Build A Domed City" - by Naomi Warren - from the Anchorage Times; 1983?
70. Wind and Snow Control Studies, Sun/Shade Studies - Morrison, Hershfield, Theakston & Rowan, Ltd.; n.d. [2 copies]
71. "Windows" - pp. 46-50 from ?; n.d.
"Windows Regulate Relative Humidity" by Axel R. Carlson - Building in Alaska Publication No. 457; January 1975
"Winter Concreting Trends in Europe" - by E.G. Swenson - pp. 369-384 from The Journal of the American Concrete Institute - Vol. 29, No. 5; November 1957
Winter Construction - Better Building Bulletin No. 6 - National Research Council, Division of Building Research; n.d.
"Winterization of Construction Equipment for Severe Arctic Conditions" - by James C. Burrous - pp. 13, 16 from Alaska Construction & Oil; November 1974
"Work Starts on Plastic-Walled School" - p. 17 from Engineering News-Record; November 27, 1969
"Yellowknife, N.W.T.: A Study of Its Urban and Regional Economy" by L.S. Bourna; September 1963
72. Untitled thesis about "the effects of the arctic and subarctic climatic conditions on the built environment, urban housing in particular" - Author's name is signed on the last page of the abstract, but unreadable; n.d.
73. Handwritten Bibliography of Northern Construction and Development Materials and Miscellaneous Bibliographies and Abstracts; n.d.
74. Miscellaneous Photocopies, Drawings, Diagrams, etc. Pertaining to Northern Construction; n.d. (Folder 1)
75. Miscellaneous Photocopies, Drawings, Diagrams, etc. Pertaining to Northern Construction; n.d. (Folder 2)
76. Miscellaneous Photocopies, Drawings, Diagrams, etc. Pertaining to Northern Construction; n.d. (Folder 3)
77. Miscellaneous Photocopies, Drawings, Diagrams, etc. Pertaining to Northern Construction; n.d. (Folder 4)
78. Miscellaneous Information on Building Materials; n.d., 1950, 1953, 1957
Subseries 6n. Oil/Gas-Related
Materials; n.d., 1968-1984.
1. "Alaska and Canada: Energy Giants for North America's Future!" - Address by Carl O. Nickle before the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce; August 12, 1968
"Alaska-Bound" - Newspaper photo [of barge] with long caption - p. D10 from the Anchorage Times; June 30, 1983
"Alaska-Bound Barges" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
2. Alaska Construction & Oil; Vol. 17, No. 10, October 1976; Vol. 18, No. 3, March 1977
3. "Alaska Enters a New Era" - by Gene Storm - p. 2A from the Anchorage Daily News; October 8, 1973
Alaska from the Inside: A Weekly Information Service of Alaska Construction & Oil; September 22, 1970
"Alaska International Construction's Happy Horse Camp" - Newspaper photo, caption, and brief article - from ?; n.d.
"Alaska Job Bonanza: Energy Development Projects Spur Major Contract Awards" - p. 16 from ENR; November 22, 1979 [2 copies]
"Alaska Native Hire on the Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline Project" - by Larry L. Naylor and Lawrence A. Gooding - from Alaska: Review of Social and Economic Issues - ISER - Vol. XV, No. 1; February 1978
4. Alaska - Oil and the Environment - Atlantic Richfield Co.; n.d.
Alaska Outdoor Recreation Plan: Volume One (Summary) - Cresap, McCormick and Paget, Inc.; February 1970
Alaskan Resource Sciences Corporation: Services and Capabilities; n.d.
5. Alyeska Reports - Published by the Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.; January 1976, April 1976 [2 copies], October 1976, April 1977, October 1977
6. Annual Report of the Commissioner of the Northwest Territories - 1967-68
7. "Arco Base Camp, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska: Additions & Alterations" - CCC/HOK Architects& Planners; n.d.
8. Arco Operations Center Expansion, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska: A Report Prepared for the Second International Symposium on Cold Region Engineering, Fairbanks, Alaska; August 1976 (Oversize - Stored in Box 40)
9. "Arco Prudhoe Bay Operations Center" - by Edwin B. Crittenden - pp. 9-16 from The Northern Engineer - Vol. 9, No. 1; n.d. [2 copies]
"Arctic Drilling Island Built During the Winter" - p. 16 from ENR; June 13, 1974
"Artist's Sketchbook of a Pipeline Camp" - Sketches by Pam Root - p. 8 of the Anchorage Daily News; September 6, 1975
10. Atlantic Richfield Company - Annual Report; 1976
Atlantic Richfield Company - Supplement to the 1976 Annual Report
11. "A Balanced Solution: Energy, Economy, Environment" - Alcan Pipeline - Northwest Pipeline Corporation; April 1, 1977
12. "Barges Loaded for North Slope Run" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
"Birth of a City" - pp. 24-26 from Arctic Oil Journal; March 1970
"BP's Plan for No. Slope Headquarters" - from ?; n.d.
Canada Today - Vol. 11, No. 7; August 1980
Canada's North 1970-1980 - Statement of the Government of Canada on Northern Development in the 70's; March 28, 1972
"Canadian Writer Gives His View of Prudhoe Bay" - by Gerald Waring - from ?; n.d.
"Caribou Graze on North Slope" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 24 of the Anchorage Daily Times; September 17, 1974
CIL Oval - [Canadian Industries Limited] - Vol. 38, No. 4; Winter 1969 [2 copies]
"Collier Plant Nears Completion On Kenai's Petroleum Row" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; Dec. 21, 19??
"Coming to a Boil: Competition to Carry Alaskan Gas Heats Up" - by Shirley Scheibla - pp. 11, 14 from Barron's; September 6, 1976
"Construction Camp" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
"Deadhorse 'Gift' Is Criticized" - by H.L. Atkinson - from ?; n.d.
13. EAMES: The Achievements of an Environmental Program - Presented by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada and the petroleum industry participants in the EAMES program; 1981
"Engineers Test Out Techniques or Trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline" - p. 11 from the Anchorage Daily Times; March 24, 1969
"'Females, Firearms and Firewater' May be in Cards for North Slope" - by A. Cameron Edmondson - from ?; Nov. 9, 1970
"Final Barges Begin Long Prudhoe Bay Run" - from the Anchorage Times; July 20, 1974
"Flotilla Studies Siberian Winds" - continuation of article from page 1 of ?; n.d.
"450-Ton Module Arrives by Barge at Prudhoe Bay" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from the Anchorage Daily Times; August 21, 1974
"Frobisher Bay: The Design of Accommodation for a Community of 4500 People" - Department of Public Works, Building Construction Branch; n.d.
"Gathering Center" - Newspaper Photo and Caption ["Construction continues on BP Alaska's gathering center..."] - p. 12 from the Anchorage Daily News; March 12, 1976
"The Holiday Ice Follies at Prudhoe" - by Corine Jones - p. 7 from the Anchorage Daily News; January 7, 1976
"Hot Target in a Cold Circle: The Search for Oil within the Arctic Circle on Alaska's North Slope" - p. 2 from Spotlight; Spring 1969
"How to Make Thirteen Billion Dollars in Three Easy Years" - by Randy Bayliss - from alaskafest, pp. 30-36; November 1980
How to See the Real Alaska! - Travel Division, Dept. of Economic Development, State of Alaska; n.d.
14. Information: Prudhoe Bay Operations; n.d. [3 copies]
"In Progress" - [First section is about BP/Sohio Operations Center at Prudhoe Bay] - from ?; n.d.
15. "In the Vastness of Alaska's Arctic Tundra... Arises A City That's Called Prudhoe Bay" and "Life Atop an Oil Well" - by William J. Tobin - pp. 6-7 from the Anchorage Daily Times; September 27, 1969
Introduction to Alaska - 1972: with photo review..."Cities of the North" - Alaska Northwest Publishing Company; 1972
Introduction to Alaska - 1977 - Alaska Northwest Publishing Company; 1976 [2 copies]
"Kuparuk Development" - Newspaper photo from the Daily News Miner; August 12, 1982
"Line Camps -- Earthbound Satellites" - by Jane Pender - p. 8 from the Anchorage Daily News; April 3, 1975
Look North to Alaska - An official publication of the State of Alaska; June 1968
Look North to Alaska - An official publication of the State of Alaska; March 1970
16. Marathon in Alaska - Marathon Oil Company; n.d.
Milne Point, Alaska - Conoco; n.d.
"Module Technology Advances North to Pipeline Camp" - p. 5 from the Daily Journal of Commerce, Seattle, Washington; November 1, 1975
"Modules Solve Icy Test" - pp. 72-74 from Building Design & Construction; September 1974
"Multi-Story Modules Are Readied for Alaska Journey" - from the EM-Kayan; February 1976
National Bank of Alaska - 1975 Annual Report
"New Fronts Open" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
17. North Slope Alaska: Man
and the Wilderness - BP Alaska Inc.; n.d. [2 copies]
"The North Slope Center: How Was It Built?" - by Peter Floyd - from pp. 22-36 The Northern Engineer; Vol. 6, No. 3; n.d. [2 copies]
The North Slope Environment and People - ARCO; n.d.
18. "North Slope Gets Prefab Housing" - Newspaper photo and caption from ?; n.d.
"North Slope Sea Route A $30 Million Gamble" - p. 10 from the Anchorage Daily Times; June 23, 1969
"North to Prudhoe Bay: Hoffman Modules Process Oil at North Slope for BP Alaska" - from ?; n.d.
"Northern Pipelines and Southern Assumptions" - Jim Lotz - pp. 198-204 from ?; n.d.
"Ocean Ranger Fights 100-Foot Waves for Oil" - by Susan Andrews - p. 8 from the Anchorage Times; December 4, 1976
"Oil & the Pipeline" [includes "Call Comes Years Late", "Pipeline Work Blossoms With Spring", "Ribbon Fell to a Finished Road", "Tube Feeds Pipe Camps Nightly Fare" and "Easter Warms Slope"] - pp. 1A-4A, 7A, 8A from the Anchorage Times; April 24, 1976 [for pages 5A and 6A see "Boredom: It Doesn't Live Here Anymore" in the series about Crittenden's work]
Oil from the Arctic - Alyeska Pipeline Service Company; n.d.
"Oil in Gulf Economic Key in 1977 Outlook" - pp. 26-27 from Alaska Industry; December 1976
"Oil Pipeline and Environment Adjust After Year Together" - p. 57 from ENR; June 22, 1978
19. Operations Center - BP Alaska Inc.; n.d. [4 copies]
20. Operations Center Extension II - Sohio Petroleum Company, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska - Wallace, Floyd, Ellenzweig, Moore, Inc.; Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger Inc.; Syska & Hennessy; Shawinigan Engineering Corp.; The Marshall Associates, Inc.; Gage-Babcock & Associates; 1978? (Oversize - Stored in Map Cabinet Drawer C)
21. "The Other Pipeline" - by Ken Shindler - pp. 26-31 from North Nord; November/December 1977
"Padding Saves Permafrost: Arctic Tundra Gets a Coat of Insulation" - pp. 4A-5A from the Anchorage Times; April 17, 1976
"People in the Lower 48 may think..." [untitled newspaper clipping with caption] from ?; n.d.
"The Pipeline is a Work of Art" - by Elaine Warren - from the Anchorage Daily News; n.d.
Pipeline North: The Challenge of Arctic Oil and Gas - Task Force on Northern Oil Development [Canada]; 1972
"Pipeline Wins Cautious Approval" - p. 4 from Information North - the Arctic Institute of North America; Spring 1978
22. Plans and Photos of Pipeline Housing Facilities, ARCO Base Camp - by CCC Architects and Planners; n.d., 1981
23. polarconsult: architects, engineers, economists and planning consultants - Copenhagen, Denmark; Jokobshavn, Greenland - Corporate Brochure; n.d.
"Power and Light on a Lonely Land" - by Bil Gilbert - from ?; n.d. [2 copies]
Producing Prudhoe Bay; June 1977
"The Prudhoe Bay Enclave" - by Edwin B. Crittenden; n.d.
"Prudhoe Bay: Home... Away From Home" - p. 4 from ?; n.d.
24. "Prudhoe Expansion" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
"Prudhoe Modules" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. 18 from the Anchorage Daily News; March 18, 1976
"Puget Sound Shipping Catches a Rising Alaskan Tide" - by William G. Cushing - from ?; n.d.
Report to the People: North Slope Borough; 1975
"The Short Happy Life of Tyonek Village: How 300 Alaskan Natives Survived a $12.9 Million Windfall" - by Roger Rapoport - pp. 85, 131-134 from Oui; n.d.
"Slope Power" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - from ?; n.d.
"Slope 'Townsite' at POW-Charlie?" - from Alaska Construction News; 1969
"Sohio Expands Facilities at Prudhoe Bay" - Newspaper Photo and Caption - p. K1 from the Anchorage Times; October 7, 1979
Sohio: The Magazine of the Standard Oil Company - Vol. 54, No. 1; Winter 1982
The Sohioan: The Magazine of the Standard Oil Company - Vol. 50, No. 1; February 1978; and Vol. 50, No. 2; April 1978
25. "Some Questions About the Arctic Gas Pipeline" - Canadian Arctic Gas Pipeline Limited; 1977?
"Special Report: 1975 Prudhoe Sea Lift Completed Despite Arctic Winter" - from Alaska Construction & Oil; April 1976
The Story of the U.S. Borax Quartz Hill Molybdenum Project in Southeast Alaska - Second Edition - U.S. Borax & Chemical Corp.; March 1979
Summary: Project Description of the TransAlaska Pipeline System - Alyeska Pipeline Service Company; September 1975
"Systems-Built Base Camp Travels 3,400 Miles by Road and Sea" - p. 20 from ENR; March 5, 1970
"'Teamwork' the Key in Arctic Slope Building Project" - pp. 18-21 from Alaska Construction & Oil; April 1979
"$10 Million Giant Joins Arctic Oil Exploration" - Newspaper Photo and Caption from p. K1 of the Anchorage Times; March 11, 1979
"$30 Million Cargo Bound for Prudhoe Bay" - photos and caption from p. 18 of the Anchorage Daily News; July 9, 1973
"This Inflatable Structure Designed to Surround Well: Protection for Oil Workers" - from ?
"Three Water Tanks Designed for Prudhoe Bay..." - Photo and Caption from ?; n.d.
"Trans-Alaska Pipeline Project Dots State with 29 New Cities" - p. A8 from the Anchorage Sunday Times; January 19, 1975
"Twenty-Eight Big Modules Built for Arco's North Slope Oil-Gathering System" - by John Kitasako - pp. 3-9 from Reporter; August 1975
"Understanding Arctic Ice" - Exxon Company Paid Supplement to ?; n.d.
"A Visit to the North Slope" [including "Cold, Desolate Country That's Rich With Oil", "A Winter Drilling Program", "The View from Prudhoe Bay", and "Building an Arctic Pipeline"] - from the Anchorage Daily News; November 27, 1968
26. "Visual Treatment Proposals - Pump Stations 1/5/6/8/10/12" - for Alyeska Pipeline? by CCC/HOK Architects & Planners
The Waiting Wealth - "Published in the public interest by Playfair & Co., Ltd., Toronto"; n.d.
Welcome to the North Slope - Atlantic Richfield Co.; 1984 [3 copies]
Wildlife of the North Slope: the Sixth Year of Study - by Angus Gavin; 1975?
The Worlds of Alaska - Division of Tourism, Dept. of Commerce and Economic Development; 1976
[No title - Drilling rig? on cover] - Alaska State tourist publication?; n.d.
[No title - pages 3-10 of an Exxon newsletter?]; n.d.
27. Miscellaneous CCC/HOK Prudhoe Bay-related Materials; n.d.
Subseries 6o. Olympic Winter
Games 1992; n.d., 1984-1986.
1. Anchorage Organizing Committee: I.O.C. Bid for the 1992 Olympic Winter Games: Technical Report - Venues: UMA Engineering Ltd. and Connolly-Facility Consultant -
Question naires: UMA Engineering Ltd., Connolly-Facility Consultant, Arthur Young, and Aadland Huber Associates; n.d.
2. Assembly of National Organizing Committees Questionnaire for Candidate Cities Applying for the Olympic Winter Games and the Response by the Anchorage Organizing Committee; 1985?
3. Calgary 1988 Olympic Winter Games; 1985-1986?
4. Calgary Urban Planning; 1984, 1986
5. Statement of Qualifications - Infrastructure Planning - 1992 Winter Olympic Games - CCC Architects Alaska; August 1985
Subseries 6p. Petrochemical
Facility Studies; 1979-1981.
Publications - Environmental Impact Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical Facility Valdez, Alaska [partially prepared by CCC/HOK]; n.d.
1. Draft Environmental I.mpact
Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical
Facility, Valdez, Alaska - Attachment A; 1979 [2 copies]
2. Draft Environmental Impact Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical Facility, Valdez, Alaska - Attachment B; 1979
3. Environmental Impact Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemi cal Facility, Valdez, Alaska - Appendix Volume I; December 1979
4. Environmental Impact Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical Facility, Valdez, Alaska - Appendix Volume II; December 1979
5. Final Environmental Impact Statement - Alaska Petrochemical Company Refining and Petrochemical Facility, Valdez, Alaska; April 1980
6. Industrial Siting Evaluation: Valdez Industrial Park; February 1981
Box 35 (Oversize)
7. Alaska Petrochemical Industry Feasibility Study: A Report to the State of Alaska - The Dow- Shell Group [CCC Architects and Planners participated in the preparation of selected portions of the study]; September 9, 1981
Subseries 6q. Psycho-Social;
n.d., 1964, 1965, 1967-1978, 1980, 1983, 1987.
1. "Architectural Design Requirements Relative to the Effects of a Stimulus of Sensory Deprived Environment" - by Lt. Charles Burgess Ledbetter; n.d.
2. Architectural Programming: Making Socially Responsive Architecture More Accessible - C. Burgess Ledbetter; March 1978
3. "The Behavioral Design of Habitats for Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions" - William M. Smith and Per K. Johnsen; n.d. [2 copies]
4. "Behavioral Design of Habitats for Man in Polar Deserts" - William M. Smith - chapter 14 in ?; n.d.
5. "Biological Rhythms and Timing and Their Effect on the Design of the Physical Environment" - by Brian Charles Mitchenere - Dissertation in Architecture at UC Berkeley; 1975
6. Byggekunst; 1965
7. "Circadian Rhythms in the Eskimo" by Mary C. Lobban and Table of Contents from Polar Human Biology: The Proceedings of the SCAR/IUPS/IUBS Symposium on Human Biology and Medicine in the Antarctic - edited by O.G. Edholm & E.K.E. Gunderson; 1973
8. "Climatic Attitudes and Sensitivities of Eskimo and Non-Eskimo in the Barrow Region of Arctic Alaska" - Progress Report to Arctic Institute of North America, Project No. ONR 334 - J. Sonnenfeld; April 1964
9. "Cold Regions Habitability" - DRAFT - Ledbetter; June 2, 1978
10. Cold Regions Habitability: A Selected Bibliography - C. Burgess Ledbetter; September 1974 [2 copies]
11. "Conference for Arctic Planning" - Sponsored by the Admiral Richard E. Byrd Polar Center with the cooperation of the Arctic Institute of North America and the New England Aquarium - Conference Report; October 14-16, 1970
12. "The Dark Side" - by Andrew Perala - from Anchorage Daily News, pp. E1-2; December 12, 1987
13. "Diary on a Synesthete: Cristina's Color-Drenched World" - by Ken W. McCluskey - from Psychology Today; June 1975
14. Education in the Canadian North: Three Reports: 1971-1972 [Community-Guided Education; Native Apprentice Teachers; and Training Southern Teachers for the North] - Man In The North Technical Paper; March 1973
15. "Environmental Perception and Adaptation Level in the Arctic" - Joseph Sonnenfeld - Chapter III of ?????; n.d.
16. "Environmental Stresses on Human Behavior: Summary and Suggestions" - by Margaret Lantis - from Archives of Environmental Health; October 1968
17. Human Aspirations, Design Criteria: Bridport Accommodation, Arctic Pilot Project - Prepared for Petro-Canada by Students of the Faculty of Environmental Design, Univ. of Calgary; May 1980
18. "International Biological Programme: Human Adaptability Project (Igloolik, N.W.T.)" - A final report submitted by P.H. Beaubier, J.M. Bradley, and Jennifer G. Vestey; 1970?
19. Journal of Architectural Research - Vol. 7, No. 3; August 1980
20. Managing Social Impacts In The Ketchikan Gateway Borough Resulting from the Proposed Quartz Hill Molybdenum Mine Project - by Richard Morehouse & Associates, Anchorage, Alaska; December 1983
21. "Mobility as an Aspect of Stress in an Arctic Community" - J.S. Savishniky; 1971
22. "Northern Communities: Mental Health and Social Adaptation" - by James B. Nickels and John P. Kehoe; December 1972
23. "Nuiqsut, a cultural plan" - DRAFT - Bill Brown; n.d. [post-1977]
24. People Communications in Canada's North: Part I: The Problem - Report of the Communications Task Force sponsored by the Man In The North Project; September 1971 [includes cover letter to EBC dated September 30, 1971]
25. People Communications in Canada's North: Part II: The Solution - Man in the North Technical Paper - by G.I. Kenney; December 1971
26. "Personality Factors in the Selection of Civilians for Isolated Northern Stations: A Follow- Up Study" - Morgan W. Wright, Joanne Chylinski, George C. Sisler, and Bruce Quarrington - from The Canadian Psychologist; January 1967
27. "Problems for Future Research" - Chapter 13 from Man in a Cold Environment: Physiological and Pathological Effects of Exposure to Low Temperatures - A.C. Burton and O.G. Edholm; 1969
28. "Proposal for Planning and Initiation Grant for the Man in the Arctic Program" - submitted by Institute of Social, Economic and Government Research, UAF; January 4, 1972
29. "Psychological Aspects of the Design Process" - by William Voelker; n.d.
30. Psychological Problems and Environmental Design in the North - by Leo R. Zrudlo; 1972 [includes cover letter dated March 14, 1975 and author's curriculum vitae]
31. "Reactions of Mind and Emotion: Color and Man-Made Environments" - by Faber Birren - pp. 37-40? from AIA Journal; October 1972
32. "Resident Perceptions of Quality of Life in Resource Frontier Communities" - by J.S. Matthiasson; 1970
33. "Scope of the Problem: Revised Listing" - Association for the Study of Man-Environment Relations, Inc., Asmer Information Access Program - D. Michael Murtha, Project Director - "This project is ... to fulfill a proposal titled "A Feasibility Study on Improving Access to Information About the Impact of the Built Environment on the Health and Lives of People". The contract was generated by the Office of the Director, National Institute of Mental Health."; June 30, 1978
34-35. The Temporary Environment: Cold Regions Habitability - by Robert B. Bechtel and C. Burgess Ledbetter; October 1976 (Copies 1 & 2) [Cover letter from Ledbetter to EBC dated September 13, 1977]
36. "Tentative Conclusions Regarding Human Environments" from Coping with Environmental Impact - pp. 399-415 - Moos?; n.d.
37. "Winter, Wilderness, and Womanhood: Explanations or Excuses for Mental Health Problems" - by James B. Nickels and Jack Ledger; 1976
38. [Copied pages from a book, So Human an Animal or The Pursuit of Significance, pp. 164- 180]; n.d.
39. Miscellaneous Abstracts and Untitled Copied Works
Subseries 6r. Russian/USSR
Materials (some in Russian, some in English).
1. Russian Materials (Folder 1)
2. Russian Materials (Folder 2)
3. Russian Materials (Folder 3)
4. Russian Materials (Folder 4)
5. Russian Materials (Folder 5)
Subseries 6s. School/Child
Care Center Design; n.d., 1954-1957, 1961, 1962, 1968, 1974,
1978- 1980, 1983, 1985-1987.
1. "School Design File" - Drawings, Plans, Analyses, etc. by EBC and others; n.d., 1954- 1957, 1962
2. "Checklist for Avoiding Common Pitfalls in School Design, Bidding, and Construction" - Alaska Council, CEFP Conference - Steve Bettis, T.S. Bettis Associates; December 11, 1987
3. Concept Study: Child Care Center, Adak, Alaska, Adak Naval Station - by CCC Architects & Planners; July 3, 1980
4. Educational Specifications: Barrow Secondary School Complex - prepared by Richard Hedderman, James W. Elliott, and Robert N. Durst; February 1978
5. Galena City School: A Comprehensive Community School Program - prepared by the School Planning Committee, City of Galena, Alaska; CCC/HOK Architects and Planners, Anchorage, Alaska; and Alaska International Academy, Anchorage, Alaska; Dec. 15, 1974
6. Guide for Planning Educational Facilities - Council of Educational Facility Planners, International (CEFP); 1985
7. Norske Arkitektkonkurranser; 1961?
8. Preliminary Design Presentation: Great High Schools, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; March 1968
9. Profiles of Significant Schools: On the Way to Work: Five Vocationally Oriented Schools - prepared for Educational Facilities Laboratory by Lewy Olfson and Jerome W. Harris; [between 1969 and 1972]
10. Profiles of Significant Schools: Schools Without Walls - a report from Educational Facilities Laboratories; n.d.
11. Program for Design: Adak Child Care Center, Adak, Alaska, U.S. Naval Station - by School Zone, Inc., Corrales, New Mexico and CCC Architects & Planners, Anchorage, Alaska; Sept. 1980
12-15. Program For Design For A New Elementary School Nome, Alaska [program researched and written by CCC Architects and Planners of Anchorage, Alaska, and School Zone, Inc. of Corrales, New Mexico]; January 1983 [4 copies]
16. Program For Design: Hermon Hutchens School, Severely and Profoundly Handicapped School, Valdez, Alaska - by School Zone, Inc., Corrales, New Mexico; and CCC/HOK Architects and Planners, Anchorage, Alaska; February 1980
17. "Schools, A Study of Cost and Planning Factors" - Prepared for the Anchorage Independent School District by Edwin B. Crittenden and Associates; 1956
18. Snow Control Study: Nome Elementary School, Nome, Alaska - Submitted to CCC Architects by Morrison Hershfield Limited; June 13, 1986 (study includes 6 color prints, 2-4 X 6 inch, 4-3.5 X 5 inch).
19. State of Alaska Rural Schools Prototype Analysis: Volume I, Design Determinants and Options - Prepared by Construction Systems Management, Inc.; Crews, MacInnes & Hoffman, Consulting Engineers; and Dickinson-Oswald-Walch-Lee, Engineers; 8/1/78
20. State of Alaska Rural Schools Prototype Analysis: Volume II, Methodology - Prepared by Construction Systems Management, Inc.; Crews, MacInnes & Hoffman, Consulting Engineers; and Dickinson-Oswald-Walch-Lee, Engineers; 8/1/78
21. State of Alaska Rural Schools Prototype Analysis: Volume III, Field Data - Prepared by Construction Systems Management, Inc.; Crews, MacInnes & Hoffman, Consulting Engineers; and Dickinson-Oswald-Walch-Lee, Engineers; 8/1/78
22. [Article about the Holy Cross Secondary School, Holy Cross, Alaska (no title)] from AE Concepts in Wood Design; January-February 1979 [2 copies]
Subseries 6t. Scandinavian
Design; n.d., 1949, 1954, 1958, 1960-1965, 1968, 1970.
1. Arkitekten [includes "Eskimohustyper i Alaska"] - no. 24?; 1970
2. Arkitecktur; 12. argang 1968
3. Artek - Keskuskatu 3 Helsinki, Finland [furniture catalog]; 1962
4. Artek Oy Keskuskatu 3 [furniture catalog]; n.d.
5. Bygga Skolor - Koulu Rakentuu - nayttely 16-29.4.62, kouluhallitus - utstallning 16-29.4.62, skolstyrelsen sodra esplanadgatan 16; 1962?
6. Byggekunst - Nr. 5; 1961
7. Byggevirksomhet og boligforhold i Norge; 1958
8. Design Karl Erik Ekselius [furniture catalog] - correspondence and price list tucked into the back, dated 1963 and 1965
9. Excitement in lighting, by Idman of Helsinki [lighting catalog]; n.d.
10. Finnish Architecture - with an introduction by Goran Schildt; n.d.
11. "Frederikshaab Town Plan"; n.d.
12. Gronland: Greenland in Transition, Historic Buildings in Greenland, New Buildings in Greenland - Saertryk af Arkitektur nr. 4; 1968
13. "House Types in Greenland Through the Years"; n.d.
14. "Housing in Bergen and Fana, Voss, Oslo and Baerum" - The Norwegian Housing Directorate; 1960
15. Howard Miller Clock Company - Letter to EBC from the company; Feb. 17, 1965 and Howard Miller Built-In Electric Clocks - Brochure; 1965
and a clock by Howard Miller - ideal gift for the modern home - Brochure; 1965
16. Igdlut Nutat; 1954
17. Industrialiseret byggeri i Norden; 1961
18. Karhula-Iittala Glassworks [glassware catalog]; n.d.
19. Kiruna, Lappland, Sweden - The Tourist Committee of the City of Kiruna; 1961
20. "Landscaping"; n.d.
21. Lunning Collection of Scandinavian Furniture [furniture catalog] - Catalog No. 63; n.d. and Price List for Catalog No. 63; August 1963
22. Lunning Collection of Scandinavian Lighting [lighting catalog] - Catalog No. 63; n.d. and Price List for Catalog No. 63; August 1963
23. Mo-Konga - Trahus A/B; 1949?
24. Muramen Huonekalutehdas Oy - [furniture brochure]; n.d.
25. Nordiske Smahus [pictures of houses and house plans]; 1958
26. Norwegian Arts and Crafts Industrial Design by Ferdinand Aars; n.d.
27. Stockmann Brochures and Catalogs:
valaisimia lampor 64 - Stockmann Orno [lighting catalog]; 1964?
Stockmann valaisimia lampor [lighting brochure]; n.d.
Orno Lighting Fixtures - Brochure; n.d.
Stockmann Orno [lighting brochure]; 1960
EVL Varjostimia Lampskarmar Lampshades - Stockmann [lampshade brochure]; n.d.
28. Tapiola Garden City 62; 1962
29. Vinterbygge: nagra arbetsmetoder och hjalpanordningar - av Hans A. Vinberg; 1969?
30. Welcome to Iceland Island - with compliments, Icelandair; 1962.