B. BLACK. Photograph Album; 1944-1945. .25 cu. ft.
Miss B. Black was apparently a clerk with the Civil Aeronautics Authority (CAA) office in Anchorage during the latter part of World War II. The CAA office was located in the Federal Building on 4th Avenue. The young woman had two close female friends with whom she associated and may have shared living quarters.
The collection consists of the World War II era photograph album of Miss B. Black. The collection contains a xerographic copy of the original 42 page album, 227 black and white prints, and 27 selected copy negatives. Subjects of the photographs include: B. Black and friends (snapshots and portraits); scenes along the Glenn and Steese highways, and the Alaska Railroad; Anchorage area scenes; a CAA party held at the Idle Hour Country Club in Spenard on October 13, 1944; CAA office scenes; and snow skiing and ice fishing scenes. Glenn Highway area scenes depicted include: Palmer, Sheep Mountain, the Matanuska River, Eklutna Lake, and Eklutna Flats. Steese Highway area scenes depicted include: Miller House, 12 Mile Summit, Riley Erickson's Central House, Circle Hot Springs, Birch Creek, Circle City, and the Yukon River. Alaska Railroad area scenes depicted include: the railroad depot in Anchorage, the ski train in the Grandview area, the McKinley Hotel, Nellie Kelly's Moose Creek Road House, and Otter Lake. Anchorage area scenes depicted include city streets, Chester Creek, and Cook Inlet. People identified in photographs from the CAA construction party include: John C. Hooper (Chief, Airway Engineering Branch), Marshall C. Hoppin (Alaska Regional Manager), H. T. "Til" Hopewell (Chief, Construction Unit), U. M. "Buck" Culver (Assistant Chief, Airway Engineering Branch), Everett Goodwin (Chief, Planning Unit), Ed Fisher (Assistant Chief, Engineering Unit), Eileen Anderson, Sue Choberka, George Karabelnikoff, G. J. "Jack" Paulie, Gordon Wildes, Ralph F. Westover, B. Black, Sam Kelly, and Herbert Gay. Some of the snow skiing scenes may have been taken in the Hatcher Pass area and show an area lodge.
The collection was acquired by the archives in 2002.