J. CHESTER "CHET" GORDON (1909-2003). Boys' Club of Alaska Papers; 1967-1981. .6 cu. ft.
James Chester "Chet" Gordon was born in Lacrosse, Washington, in 1909. He graduated from Washington State University with a degree in English literature. He married Josephine Phillippay in 1932. Gordon farmed in the Palouse area of Washington, and served in the Washington House of Representatives for more than ten years. In 1956, he moved with his family to Alaska, where they owned and managed radio stations in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Homer. Gordon was a founder and president of the Boys' Club of Alaska, in which he was active until 1979. In 1978, he received a Gold Pan award for community service from the Alaska Chamber of Commerce. He also collected railroad spikes, telegraph insulators and bottles, and wrote for Crown Jewels, a national magazine for insulator collectors. Chet Gordon died in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 2003.
The collection consists of J. Chester Gordon's papers relating to the Boys' Club of Alaska. The collection contains correspondence, memoranda, meeting minutes, reports, lists, financial records, newsletters, sports programs and schedules, photographs, scrapbooks, and other related papers. There are eight black and white photographs, primarily of Chet Gordon and other supporters of the Boys' Club of Alaska. The two scrapbooks, containing newspaper clippings, photographs, a few letters, and sports programs, concern the Babe Ruth Baseball League (1972), and the Boys' Club of Alaska (1971-1973).
The collection was presented to the archives by Caroline Bolar in 2002.
1. Boys' Club Meeting Minute Book; 1968-1973.
2. Boys' Club Board Reports and Meetings; 1973-1974.
3. Boys' Club Newsletter Sponsors; 1976.
4. Marvin S. Frankel, Boy's Club of Alaska Board of Director's Meetings; 1967-1968.
5. Boys' Club Papers; 1967-1972 (4 b&w prints).
-"Sullivan presents Man and Boy award of the year to J. Chester Gordon, 1969" Mayor George Sullivan (5 X 7 inch).
-" 1972 Gordorn holding Babe Ruth which won a second place award from Boys' Club of America" (5 X 7 inch).
-"Gordon in front of newly acquired office building, 1968. Also Boys' Club first sign" (3.5 X 5 inch).
-"This was the old KBYR radio station bldg. It was our first home, our first bldg. Gordon used this bldg.; hiring of Terry Martin as Exec. Dir.; and a $5000 contribution from Tacoma Boys' Club to successfully file and obtain a membership in the Nat'l Boys' Club." (3.5 X 5 inch).
6. Boys' Club Papers; 1973.
7. Boys' Club Papers; 1974.
8. Boys' Club Papers; 1975-1976.
9. Boys' Club Executive Director, Terry Gose File; 1976.
10. Boys' Club Papers; 1977.
11. Boys' Club Papers; 1978.
12. Boys' Club Papers; 1979.
13. Girls' Club Papers; 1977-1978.
14. American Legion Baseball Papers; 1981.
15. Boys' Club Youth Football Papers; 1972-1979.
-Anchorage Youth Football, 1972-1973 Program.
16. Babe Ruth Baseball Papers; 1969-1972.
17. Babe Ruth Baseball Papers; 1973.
18. Babe Ruth Baseball Papers; 1974.
19. Babe Ruth Baseball Papers; 1975-1981.
20. Anchorage Babe Ruth League Scrapbook: Xerographic Copy of Original Scrapbook; 1972.
21. Anchorage Babe Ruth League Scrapbook: Original Contents; 1972 (1 b&w print).
-"1972 Mt. View Lions Ball Field" View in winter (3.5 X 5 inch).
-Anchorage Babe Ruth League 1972 Schedule.
22. Boys' Club of Alaska Scrapbook: Xerographic Copy of Original Scrapbook; 1971-1973.
23. Boys' Club of Alaska Scrapbook: Original Contents; 1971-1973 (3 b&w prints).
-Chester Gordon, Mrs. John Trent and Elmer Rasmuson with plans for new Boys' Club youth sporting and recreational complex at site acquired from Mrs. Trent; Feb. 1972 (3.5 X 5 inch).
-Chet Gordon receiving check from baseball sponsor; ca. 1972 (5 X 7 inch).
-Portrait of West Anchorage All-Stars of the Babe Ruth League; July 1972 (8 X 10 inch).