WILLIAM ASBERRY "BERRY" GILCREASE (1893-1995). Color Travel Slides; 1966. .2 cu. ft.
William Asberry Gilcrease served as a medic during World War I. He was an accomplished world traveler and big game hunter. Gilcrease took photographs and motion picture film of his trips, and put together travel presentations for local clubs and schools. He visited Alaska and Western Canada in the summer of 1966.
The collection consists of the personal travel slides of William Asberry "Berry" Gilcrease from the summer of 1966. The collection contains 254 color 35mm photographic slides from two separate slide trays, and accompanying lists. Towns depicted include: Sitka, Skagway, Fairbanks, College, Circle City, Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Kenai, Seward, Dawson Creek, Dawson, and Whitehorse. Highways depicted include the Alaska, Glenn, Richardson, Steese, Klondike, Seward, Sterling, and Denali. Special tours included trips on the riverboat Discovery from Fairbanks, and the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway from Skagway to Whitehorse.
The collection was acquired by the archives in 2003.
Tray Number 1:
1-9. Butchart Gardens, Victoria, B.C.
11-14. Totem poles, Sitka.
15 & 16. Sitka Pioneers Home.
17-21. Buildings on Main Street, Skagway.
22. Milepost 0, Alaska Highway, Dawson Creek, B.C.
23. Berry Gilcrease fishing in stream.
24. Roadside lake.
25. Lodgepole pine along highway.
26-28. Frozen lake.
29-32. Mountain range in distance beyond lake.
33. Highway and mountain scene.
35. Bill Gilcrease viewing glacier.
36. Roadside outhouses in deep snow.
37 & 38. Glacier field scenes.
39. Mountain scene.
40. Milepost 1523 of Alaska Highway at Cushman Street in Fairbanks.
41. Sternwheeler Nenana and pickup.
42. Arctic Primroses.
43. Sternwheeler on Tanana River.
44 & 45. Santa Claus House Santa sign and store, North Pole.
48. Gene and dredge buckets.
49 & 50. Native woman making baskets for sale.
51. Sternwheeler Discovery at mooring.
52. Chena Ice Classic pole at Native village.
53. Native men at boat making frames.
54. Fish wheel in river.
Touring on sternwheeler Discovery:
55. Men in UCLA Bruins baseball team jackets.
56. Tourists on deck.
58. Flags on boat.
59 & 60. River views.
61 & 62. Tourists on deck.
63. Boat moored on Tanana River bank.
64 & 65. Wickersham Hall at University of Alaska at College.
66. Lawn and buildings at university.
67. Three cars of Japanese tourists parked at Visitors Center in Fairbanks.
Steese Highway to Circle City:
68-71. Melting ice.
72. Tundra wildflowers.
73-76. Melting ice next to highway.
77. Yukon River at Circle City.
78. View toward church in Circle City at Yukon River bank.
79. Yukon Trading Post at Circle City.
80. Pickup stuck in mud.
82. Tundra wildflowers.
83. Malemute Saloon at Ester.
84. Matanuska Glacier from Glenn Highway.
85. Flying to Nome: Aerial view of river.
86. Dog kennel (oil barrels).
87 & 88. Native sales yard.
89-91. Native children.
92. Nome Nugget newspaper building.
93. The Glue Pot Soda Fountain.
95. Street scene: A. Polet store.
96 & 97. Tourist goldpanning.
99 & 100. Street scenes.
101 & 102. Native children.
103. Midnight scene.
105 & 106. Natives bring in beluga whale.
107. Front Street scene.
108. Kobuk and Noatak Rivers.
109. Midnight scene.
110-112. Native dancers and drummers.
113. Native crafts on sale.
114. Midnight scene.
116. Gene on beach.
117. Fallen down barabara.
118-120. Aerial views from plane.
121. Wien Alaska Airlines Bus.
122 & 123. Barrow Post Office.
124. Natural gas line raised off of ground.
126. Utkeagvik Presbyterian Church.
127. Top of the World Hotel.
128. Emergency tracked vehicle and bulldozer.
129. Dirt street and flatbed trailers.
Tray Number 2:
1-4. Gene on the deck of the Queen Prince Rupert Victoria Ferry.
6-8. Inside Passage views from ferry.
10. Distant view of ferry at Sitka Pier from shore.
11 & 12. Sitka totem poles.
13. Sitka Pioneers Home.
14. Boarding ferry at Sitka.
15. Ferry landed at Skagway.
16. Skagway Harbor.
17. Street scene with Golden North Hotel.
18 & 19. Waterfall and stream along Klondike Highway.
White Pass and Yukon Route Railway:
20-24. Views from train.
25. Trail of '98 marker.
26 & 27. Views from train.
28 & 29. Lake views.
30, 31, 31.5. Ice-covered lake.
32-34. Railroad cleared of snow and ice.
35-37. Views near top of pass.
39. Highway and snow fields.
40. Lake in moose area.
41. Pickup on highway.
42. Lake and mountain range from highway.
43. Highway view.
45. Gene on highway looking toward ice field.
46. Roadside outhouses deep in snow.
47 & 48. Pickup and sign at summit of Thompson Pass.
49. Highway and snow near summit of Thompson Pass.
50 & 51. Bridal Veil Falls in Keystone Canyon.
52. Horsetail Falls in Keystone Canyon.
53. Both waterfalls and road through Keystone Canyon.
54. Flooded oil storage and damage from earthquak in Seward.
55. Pier location before earthquake.
56. Earthquake damaged area near town.
57 & 58. Mountains along Seward Highway.
59. Russian Orthodox Church at Kenai.
60-63. Matanuska Glacier and river valley.
64 & 65. Mt. Sanford and Wrangell Mountains from Glenn Highway.
66. Flooded picnic area along Denali Highway.
67. View of mountains from Denali Highway.
68. Pickup camper on Denali Highway.
69. Mountain range before a storm.
70. Windblown snow area.
71. Caribou in McKinley Park
72. Bull moose in McKinley Park.
73. Bird's nest in McKinley Park.
74. New section of the Denali Highway.
75. View of mountains from Denali Highway.
76. Gene viewing mountains.
77. Old flume for hydraulic mining operation.
78. Pickup and ice along Steese Highway.
79. Ice along creek near Steese Highway.
80. Welcome sign at Circle City.
81. Yukon Trading Post at Circle City.
82. Malemute Saloon at Ester.
83. Native man and woman on bench outside store.
84-87. Blanket toss at Kotzebue.
88-94. The King Island Eskimo Dancers performing.
95. Gene and Kotzebue National Forest tree.
96. Distant Early Warning (DEW) line station.
97. View toward town.
98. Road to DEW line station.
99. Ice on Kotzebue Sound.
100-104.5. Native entertainers at Point Barrow.
105 & 106. Man carving walrus ivory.
107-109. Midnight sun from beach.
110. Sea and ice from Point Barrow.
111. View of the town of Barrow.
112. Gene on dog team ride.
113 & 114. Blanket toss.
115. People preparing for blanket toss.
116. Native celebration.
117. Sea ice from shore.
118. Gene and airplane.
119. Midnight sun from airplane.
120. Entering Yukon Territory sign.
121. Sign on Top of the World Highway 60 miles from Dawson City.
122. Robert W. Service cabin in Dawson City. Gene next to stove in interior.
124. Berry Gilcrease as Klondike Joe in Dawson City.
125. Sluice box in Dawson City.
126. Canadian Bank of Commerce building and steamboat in Dawson City.
127. Two old steam locomotives.
128. Five Finger Rapids on Yukon River.
129. Sam McGee's cabin in Whitehorse.
130. Cemetery at Whitehorse.
131. Sightseeing boat Miles Canyon.
132. View of lake.
134. Russian Orthodox Church at Kenai.
135. Kenai River view.
136. Waterfall near Fairbanks.
137. Sitka Harbor view.
138. Creek and cabins.