EFFIE ANDERSON GRAHAM (1924-2003). Papers; 1918-2002. .7 cu. ft.
Effie Irene Anderson Graham was born in Colbert, Washington, in 1924. She graduated from Mead High School in Spokane, Washington, in 1942, and Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing, in 1945. She later received a bachelor's degree in nursing from the University of Washington (1949), a master's degree in medical-surgical nursing from the University of Colorado (1959), and a doctorate in psychology from Boston College (1972). From 1945 to 1946, she served as a lieutenant in the U. S. Army Nurse Corps in California. From 1949 to 1956, she was the acting and assistant director for the Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing. She came to Alaska in 1956, and served in the following positions: assistant director of the Practical Nursing Program of the United States Public Health Service at Mt. Edgecumbe High School in Sitka (1956-1958); executive officer of the Alaska Board of Nursing (1959-1961); coordinator of the Practical Nursing Program at Anchorage Community College (1961-1966); dean of the College of Nursing at Alaska Methodist University (1971-1975); and associate professor of nursing at the University of Alaska Anchorage (1982-). During her career, she also served as associate professor of medical-surgical nursing at the College of Nursing, University of Illinois at the Medical Center in Chicago, and assistant dean of the School of Nursing at the University of Illinois-Rockford. In 1972, she married Donald Graham in Anchorage. Graham was awarded the Mildred Berry Award for Education (1982) and the DeLapp Excellence Award from the Theta Omicron Chapter of Sigma Theta (1997) in recognition of her contributions to nursing in Alaska. She also co-edited and contributed commentary to the book, With a Dauntless Spirit: Alaska Nursing in Dog-team Days (2003). Effie Graham died in Spokane, Washington, in 2003.
The collection consists of the professional papers of Effie Anderson Graham. The collection contains: her doctoral dissertation, Cognitive Performance and Mood Change as They Relate to Menstrual Cycle and Estrogen Level (1972); various papers, journal articles, book chapters and reports by Graham on the subjects of menstrual cycles, menstrual cycles and cognitive abilities, mood, and seasonal changes, as well as nursing education; various proposals, raw data, and other materials related to her professional research; some papers related to her membership in the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research (1972-2002); and copies of historical publications and documents concerning public health nursing in Alaska (1918-1960).
The collection was transferred to the archives from the Alaska and Polar Regions Department, Elmer E. Rasmuson Library, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in 2004.
Box and Folder list:
1. Cognitive Performance and Mood Change as They Relate to Menstrual Cycle and Estrogen Level: A Study of Forty-eight Young Women with Normal Menstrual Cycles; By Effie Irene Anderson, B.S.N. University of Washington, 1949, M.S. University of Colorado; submitted in partial fulfillment of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, 1972 (Boston University Graduate School Dissertation).
2. "Further Exploraton of Sex Hormones and Cognition: A Study of the Relationship of Progesterone Levels to Performance"; By Effie Anderson Graham, Alaska Methodist University; This study was partially supported by a developmental grant from the American Nurses Foundation; 1976 (65 pages).
3. "Cognition and Mood as Related to Menstrual Cycle and Estrogen Level"; By Effie A. Graham, Ph.D.; Paper presented at The Menstrual Cycle: An Interdisciplinary Nursing Conference at the Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, June 27 and 28, 1977 (24 pages plus references).
4. Menstrual Cycle: A Synthesis of Interdisciplinary Research; Edited by Alice Dan, Ph. D., Effie Graham, Ph.D., and Carol Beecher, M.S.N.; Publication of papers from the Menstrual Cycle Research Conference, 1977; 1977-1980 (paper drafts, notes, correspondence and publishing agreement).
5. "Intra-Institutional Planning To Meet Educational Needs of Nurses"; Presented by Effie Graham, R.N., Ph.D., Consultant in Nursing to Rockford College, Assistant Dean and Associate Professor, University of Illinois College of Nursing, Rockford, Illinois; A paper presented at the National League for Nursing Conference on "Critical Issues in Educational Mobility for Nursing" at Kansas City, Missouri, November 16 and 17, 1981 (typed draft, 19 pages).
6. "Menstrual and Menopausal Concerns"; By Effie Graham, Ph.D., R.N., Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Alaska, Anchorage; Chapter in Contemporary Women's Health; Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Medical/Nursing Division, Menlo Park, California;1982-1986 (typed draft and correspondence).
7. "Relationship of Pregnanediol Level to Cognitive Behavior and Mood"; By Effie Anderson Graham, PhD, and Michael Glasser, PhD, Psychosomatic Medicine, Jan./Feb. 1985 (xerographic copies).
8. "Seasonal Cyclicity: An Exploration of Menstrual Daylight/Darkness Relationships"; By Effie Graham, Ph.D., School of Nursing, University of Alaska-Anchorage, Martha Stewart, Maniilaq Association, Kotzebue, Alaska, and Penny Ward, M.S.N., University of Alaska-Anchorage (drafts, notes, and correspondence); 1982, 1986-1987.
9. "Darkness Related Secondary Amenorrhea"; By Martha Stewart, Maniilaq Association, Kotzebue, Alaska, and Effie Graham, Ph.D., School of Nursing, University of Alaska, Anchorage; ca. 1983 (8 pages).
10. "The Effect of Latitude on Menarche in Alaska Native Women"; By Lorna A. Pletnikoff, MSN, John M. Booker, PhD, and Effie J. Graham, Ph.D.; ca. 1983 (20 page draft plus research materials).
11. "Evaluation of Nursing Services at Alaska Psychiatric Institute"; By Elizabeth Ward, R.N., M.N., Effie Graham, R.N., Ph.D., and Kate Morris, R.N., M.S.; Presented to Myra M. Munson, Commissioner, Department of Health and Social Services, May 1987 (46 pages).
12. "The Influence of Climatic Factors on Menstrual Cycles"; By Nancy Sanders, RN, MN, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Alaska Anchorage, and Effie I. Graham, RN, PhD, With special acknowledgement to Dr. Ann M. Voda and the Tremin Trust of the University of Utah; ca. 1989 (14 pages).
13. "Changing Roles in Nursing"; By Effie I. Anderson; n.d. (typed draft, 21 pages).
14. "Cognition as Related to Menstrual Cycle Phase and Estrogen Level"; By Effie A. Graham, Ph.D.; This study was supported by a developmental grant from the American Nurses' Foundation and by a grant from the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health; n.d. (20 pages plus references, figures, and tables).
15. Research Proposal: Menstrual Cycle Related Cognitive Variability; Grant application by Effie Anderson Graham, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at the Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service; ca. 1977.
16. Progesterone Study; 1974-1975 (Study data, tables, and correspondence).
17. SPSS Batch System Spread Sheets; 1979-1981 (Cognitive performance and mood change data, 11 X 14 inch sheets, folded).
18. Kotzebue Data; 1983-1984 (Study data, paper, research materials, correspondence, and 35mm presentation slides of nine tables related to the paper, "Darkness Related Secondary Amenorrhea").
19. Testing Instructions; n.d. (Instructions for tests measuring mood and cognitive abilities).
20. Individual Testing Results; 1984-1986 (Cards for subjects of menstrual cycle study and related table).
21. Cognitive Abilities; n.d., 1968, 1972, 1973, 1976, 1979, 1988, 1989, 1997 (study, journal articles, book chapter, and newspaper articles on the effects of the menstrual cycle on cognitive abilities).
22. Perceptual Abilities and the Menstrual Cycle; 1979, 1981 (book chapter and journal article).
23. Progesterone; n.d., 1955, 1964, 1967-1969, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1977-1981, (journal articles).
24. Alice Dan's Research; 1976, 1978.
-"Behavioral Variability and the Menstrual Cycle; By Alice J. Dan, University of Illinois College of Nursing; Presented at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association in Washington, D. C., September 1976 (6 pages plus tables).
-"The Menstrual Cycle and Sex Differences in Cognitive Ability"; By Alice J. Dan, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at the Medical Center; Draft of chapter to appear in Sex-related Differences in Cognitive Functioning, edited by Michele A. Witting and Anne C. Petersen, Academic Press, 1978 (45 pages).
25. Society for Menstrual Cycle Research; 1977, 1999, 2002.
-The Menstrual Cycle: An Interdisciplinary Nursing Research Conference, June 27, 28, 1977 (Conference brochure and schedule, College of Nursing, University of Illinois at the Medical Center, Chicago).
-Membership Directory; May 1999.
-Newsletter; Winter 2002.
-Membership Directory; January 2002.
26. History of Public Health Nursing in Alaska; n.d., 1918-1923, 1934, 1935, 1939, 1940, 1960 (Copies of various publications, reports, and other documents).
-Manual of Medical Routines for Teachers; United States Department of the Interior, Office of Indian Affairs, Alaska Division; Juneau, Alaska, May 15, 1940 (original copy of manual).
-Public Health Administration in Alaska, 1940; Report of a Study made by the American Public Health Association, New York.
-"Alaska: frontier for health services"; Public Health Reports, October 1960.
27. Miscellaneous Information; n.d., 1977, 1989.