ALFRED L. WINTERTON (1912-2003). Photographs; 1939, 1941. .2 cu. ft.
Alfred L. Winterton was born in North Dakota in 1912. He enlisted in the U. S. Army Air Corps in 1929, where he became an aerial mapping photographer. Winterton was a master sergeant and lead photographer with the Second Photographic Mapping Squadron of the U. S. Army Air Corps. Winterton and a crew from his squadron took part in aerial mapping of Alaska in 1939. He retired from the military in 1955. Alfred L. Winterton died in Tacoma, Washington, in 2003.
The collection consists of unit photographs of U. S. Army Air Corp photographer, Master Sergeant Alfred L. Winterton. The collection consists of 33 black and white prints, mounted on album pages, of members of the Second Photographic Mapping Squadron. The photographs include: two composite prints containing portraits of the 225 officers and enlisted men of the squadron in 1941; two prints of the six officers and senior enlisted members, including Winterton, of the Alaska mapping crew of 1939; a group photo of the entire Alaska mapping crew; individual and group portraits of Alaska Air Corps commander Colonel Everett S. Davis, squadron commander Colonel G. G. Northrup, Lieutenant J. P. Stewart, Sergeant Branscom, Lieutenant Hammer, and other squadron members; and those of debearding day ceremonies for the squadron.
The collection was acquired by the archives in 2003.
1. "Col. Northrup's Aerial Mapping Crew." "2nd Photo Sq. Officers & Men 1941" Print containing 95 members of the Second Photographic Squadron, U. S. Army Air Corps, and cartoon drawings (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
2. Another print with portraits of 130 more members of the Second Photographic Squadron (7.25 X 9.5 inch).
3. "Alaska Mapping Crew 1939" Six soldiers and dog in front of airplane, Winterton at far left (8 X 9.5 inch).
4. "Alaska Mapping Crew" Same group as above with airplane at left (7.5 X 10 inch).
5. "The Old Man One of the Best" Portrait of Colonel G. G. Northrup in beard, signed, "To the Old Gang" (7.5 X 9.25 inch).
6. "Old Man in Alaska Gear" Portrait of Colonel G. G. Northrup in slouch hat and embroidered buckskin jacket (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
7. "Old Man's Mother & Wife" Portrait of Colonel G. G. Northrup with mother at left and wife at right (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
8. "Lt. Stewart" Lieutenant J. P. Stewart in Scottish uniform having beard removed by barber (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
9. "Col. Davis Alaska Air Corps Commander" Portrait of Colonel Everett S. Davis smoking cigar in leather flight jacket and hat (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
10. "Col. Northrup" Portrait of clean-shaven Colonel G. G. Northrup in leather flight jacket and garrison cap with large mock oak leaf clusters on shoulders.
11. Soldier wearing shorts, boots and slouch hat standing in front of group of soldiers with rapier in his teeth (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
12. Lieutenant J. P. Stewart in Scottish uniform playing bagpipes (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
13. "First Crew to Aerial Map Alaska" Group portrait next to barracks (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
14. "Sgt. Mayden" Portrait of soldier in beard (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
15. "Lt. J. P. Stewart" Portrait of Lieutenant Stewart in beard wearing garrison cap (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
16. "Debearding Day Off They Come" Officer with large wooden pair of scissors pretends to cut the beard of Colonel G. G. Northrup, who is dressed in embroidered buckskin jacket and slouch hat (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
17. "Sgt. Branscom Guess Who Is Boss Now" Woman pulling the beard of Seargeant Branscom, with airplane in background (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
18. "Old Pete & the Pet Dog" Portrait of Sergeant Branscom in garrison cap holding dog (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
19. "Lt. Hammer & Old Pete" Portrait of Lieutenant Hammer at left and Sergeant Branscom smoking pipe and holding dog at right (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
20. Portrait of Sergeant Branscom in beard and garrison cap (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
21. Portrait of soldier in trimmed mustache and beard (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
22. Portrait of heavily freckled soldier in beard (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
23. Portrait of officer Stockwell in beard wearing leather flight jacket (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
24. Portrait of soldier in trimmed beard wearing garrison cap (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
25. Barber removing beard of soldier wearing garrison cap (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
26. "All Shaved Up and No Place to Go" Lieutenant J. P. Stewart in Scottish uniform and Colonel Northrup in slouch hat with heads through handles of large wooden pair of scissors (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
27. "Old Man Lost His Pride Beard Too" Barber removing Colonel G. G. Northrup's beard (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
28. Soldier without shirt working on equipment in photographic shop in tent (7.75 X 9.5 inch).
29. Group portrait of five soldiers with cigars in mouths in front of steps to camera repair building door (7.5 X 10 inch).
30. "Old Pete Debearding Day" Barber removing beard from Sergeant Branscom (7.5 X 9.75 inch).
31. Large icicles on roof of building, soldier looking out of window (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
32. Soldier shoveling snow from rear of Quonset hut (7.5 X 9.5 inch).
33. Winterton and dog at mouth of tunnel under snowbank between buildings (7.5 X 9.5 inch).