Skip navigation

Historical Manuscripts Collection List »

RALPH H. GILMORE (1920-2000). World War II Photograph Album; n.d., 1941-1945, 1961. .25 cu. ft.

Ralph H. Gilmore was from Central California. He enlisted in the U. S. Army at Sacramento, California, on November 5, 1941. After training at Camp Roberts California, Gilmore served in the 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment in Alaska. His unit was stationed at Fort Richardson in Anchorage, Adak Army Air Field, and saw combat during the Battle of Attu in May 1943. Ralph Gilmore died in Jackson, California, in 2000.

The collection consists of the World War II era photograph album of U. S. Army soldier Ralph H. Gilmore. The 97-page album contains; 557 black and white prints; 9 color prints; 2 black and white photo post card; 3 color photo post cards; 8 black and white commercial tourist prints; 2 Christmas greeting cards from an L. C. Loomis in Laramie, Wyoming (1945); 1941Thanksgiving and Christmas greeting cards from Company A, Fourth Infantry in Alaska, containing menus and a list of names of company soldiers; two newspaper clippings of photographs concerning the 4th Infantry's arrival at Fort Benning, Georgia as a demonstration unit for the infantry school there; and a greeting card from Fort Richardson containing photographs of soldiers in winter dress and a dog team and sled. Subjects of the photographs include: Ralph Gilmore and fellow soldiers at Camp Roberts, Fort Richardson, Adak (20+ prints), Attu Island (109 prints), and Fort Benning, Georgia; Yosemite National Park (33 prints); and Ralph Gilmore and various friends and family members. The photographs from Attu include those of Red Beach, White Beach, Black Beach, Elmers Hill, Fish Hook Ridge, D Company tent camp, landing craft, 37 millimeter guns, and wrecked aircraft. There is also a tribute page of photographs for Donald Hanson, Jr., who was killed on Attu on May 21, 1943. The post cards are of Yosemite National Park and Wyoming. The commercial tourist prints are of the Snowy Range in Wyoming.

The collection was acquired by the archives in 2005.

HMC-0739
JAS (7/2005)