RUTH E. BLANCHARD (1910-2004). Color Travel Slides; 1971, 1975. .2 cu. ft.
Ruth E. Blanchard worked as a librarian for the Smithsonian Institution for 30 years, and traveled extensively after her retirement. Her travels included summer tours to Alaska in 1971, and Alaska, Yukon Territory and British Columbia in 1975. Ruth Blanchard died in Norman, Oklahoma, in 2004.
The collection consists of the original travel slides of tourist Ruth E. Blanchard. The collection contains 495 color 35mm slides. The slides from 1971 are of subjects in Fairbanks and Anchorage. The slides from 1975 include subjects in Anchorage, Mount McKinley National Park, Fairbanks, Delta Junction, Dawson City, Whitehorse, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Vancouver, and Victoria. Subjects of particular note include: tours on the Riverboat Discovery from Fairbanks (1971 and 1975), Earthquake park in Anchorage (1971 and 1975), a train ride on the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Mount McKinley National Park and then to Fairbanks (1975), a train ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway between Whitehorse and Skagway (1975), a ship cruise of Southeast Alaska including tours of Glacier Bay and Sitka (1975), and a visit to Butchart Gardens (1975). The collection also includes commercial travel slides of the Riverboat Discovery touring the Chena and Tanana Rivers from Fairbanks, and Sitka scenes and museum artifacts from the Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka.
The collection was acquired by the archives in 2005.
July 1971 (63 slides):
738. Chamber of Commerce sign.
739. Travelers Inn sign.
740 & 741. Downtown scenes.
742. First Presbyterian Church.
743 & 744. Alaska Highway sign.
745. Chena River scene.
746. Riverboat Steamer Nenana, Alaskaland.
747-749. Alaskaland scenes.
750. Locomotive, Alaskaland.
752-758. University of Alaska campus scenes.
759 & 759a. Muskox at University of Alaska.
760. Riverboat Discovery.
761. Captain Jim Binkley of Riverboat Discovery (Commercial travel slide, Arctic Circle Enterprise, No. 24-1, faded).
762. Riverboat Discovery (Commercial travel slide, Arctic Circle Enterprise, No. 24-2, faded).
763-771. Riverboat Discovery cruise on Chena and Tanana Rivers.
772. Fish wheel in Action on Tanana River (Commercial travel slide, Arctic Circle Enterprise, No. 24-3, faded).
773-780. Riverboat Discovery cruise on Chena and Tanana Rivers.
782. Mountain scene from airplane.
784 & 785. Downtown scenes from high rise building.
786-794. Party at Atwood Home (Includes photo of Robert Atwood on lawn).
796. View of Mount Susitna from Earthquake Park.
797. Earthquake Park sign.
798-800. Earthquake Park scenes.
801 & 802. Small airplanes at Merrill Field.
803. Fenced back yard with two dog houses and sled.
July 1975 (262 slides):
1. Nielson Travel Agency, Mesa, Arizona.
4 & 6. Phoenix Airport scenes.
7. Boarding Western Airlines jet at Phoenix.
8. Mountains between Phoenix and Los Angeles.
9. Los Angeles Airport.
10. Western Airlines 50 Year Champagne Celebration (Ruth Blanchard and friends seated on airplane with Princess Tours name tags).
12 & 13. Mount Shasta.
14 & 15. Crater Lake.
16-18. Cascade Mountains.
19. Mount Rainier through airplane window.
20. Seattle Airport scene.
21. Port of Anchorage view from downtown.
22. Railroad depot and Ship Creek area.
23-28, 31, 32. Flowerbeds near public parking area.
34-36, 38, 39, 42, 43, 46, 49, 51, 54-56, 60. Chair lift at Alyeska Ski Resort (scenes from ride on chair lift).
62-66, 68. Explorer Glacier.
70-73. Portage Glacier and Portage Lake.
74-78. Chapel by the Sea (church and flowers).
79-81.Party given by Nielson's Travel Agency, Westwood Anchorage (People at party).
85 & 86. Earthquake Park (views toward Downtown Anchorage).
89. Aircraft at Lake Hood.
92, 94, 98-101, 103, 104, 106, 109, 113. Train ride on Alaska Railroad between Anchorage and Mount McKinley National Park (Ruth Blanchard in train car and views from train).
Mount McKinley National Park:
116 & 117. Train at McKinley Park Station.
118. McKinley National Park sign.
119 & 120. Views from park road.
122. Van serving lunch for bus tour into park.
123. stream in park.
127. Marie Knapp on bed in hotel room.
128. Ruth Blanchard on bed in McKinley Park Hotel room.
129 & 133. Malamute dogs at park kennel.
135. Dog sled.
137 & 138. Tourists near railroad tracks.
139-142. Train ride from McKinley National Park to Fairbanks (Nenana River scenes from train).
143, 144, 146-155. Riverboat Discovery tour on Chena and Tanana Rivers.
163 & 164. Stacks of pipe for Alyeska Pipeline.
University of Alaska, College:
166 & 167. Muskoxen.
168-171, 173, 174. Flowerbeds.
175, 175A, 176-179. Stuffed animal specimens at Alaska Museum (bears and bison).
180. Alaska Highway sign.
182 & 183. Oil pipeline ditch east of Delta Junction.
184-187. Aspen trees and scenery.
188, 192-195, 197, 198, 200-202. Scenery, rest stop, sign and customs house at Alaska / Yukon Territory Border.
Dawson City, Yukon Territory:
204 & 205. Ferry crossing the Yukon River at Dawson City.
207. Houses from street.
209 & 209A-C. Midnight Sun Restaurant (building entrance and tourists at tables).
210 & 210A, 211-213, 215-217, 219. Diamond Tooth Gertie's Gambling Hall (front of building and interior including dancers).
220, 220A, 221, 222. Gaslight Follies at the Palace Grand Theatre (exterior and interior boxes).
224-226. Street scenes.
227. Ferry landing.
228 & 229. Gold dredge.
230-232. Gold dredge tailings.
234. Aspen trees.
235, 236, 236a, 237, 238. Gold panning at Bonanza Creek.
240. Post Office building.
243. Red Feather Saloon.
249-254, 254B,255-260. Bus tour lunch stop at picnic grounds near Minto, Yukon Territory.
262, 262A, 263, 264. Five Finger Rapids on Yukon River.
265. Bridge on Yukon River.
267. Remains of Montague House and sign.
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory:
268-287. Frantic Follies (stage performances).
288. Railroad depot.
289 & 290. Views of Yukon River near railroad depot.
White Pass & Yukon Route Railway:
291 & 292. Stove inside passenger car.
294-309, 311, 313 -315. Buildings and scenery between Whitehorse and Skagway.
318 & 320. Lake Bennett.
321. Lunch stop at railroad station at Lake Bennett.
323. White Pass Railway locomotive.
325. View of railroad at Lake Bennett.
328, 329, 338, 342, 343, 347. Scenery along railroad.
August 1975 (165 slides):
350-358, 360-370, 373, 375, 380, 383-386. Glaciers, icebergs, and other scenery.
388 & 391. Muir Glacier.
393-395. Sitka from ship.
396A. Small boat harbor (Commercial travel slide from Sheldon Jackson Museum).
397. Misty scene.
398. Small boat harbor.
400. Sitka National Monument, National Park Service sign.
401. Arts and Crafts Building.
402, 404-407. Totem poles and trees in park.
407A, B & C. Tlingit art (Commercial travel slides from Sheldon Jackson Museum).
408. Logs outside Crafts Building.
410. Tourists at entrance to Sheldon Jackson Museum.
412. Sheldon Jackson College sign with directions to United Presbyterian Church, and fireweed.
413 & 414. Island scenery.
415. Russian Orthodox Church crucifix.
417. Skunk cabbage.
419. Street scene looking toward St. Michael's Cathedral (commercial travel slide from Sheldon Jackson Museum).
420 & 421. Russian dancers performing.
422. Small boat harbor.
Vancouver, British Columbia:
436 & 437. Distant views of city from ship.
440. Flower gardens at Bayshore Inn.
441. Boat harbor scene from Bayshore Inn.
442-448. Gardens at Stanley Park.
450, 452-458. City scenery from Stanley Park.
459. View of North Vancouver.
461. Fountain in front of observatory.
462. Public beach scene from parking lot.
463 & 464. Flower garden in front of private home.
464-468. Gardens at University of British Columbia.
469-472, 474, 475. Japanese gardens at University of British Columbia.
477 & 478. Rafts of logs for lumber.
480. Large Victorian house.
483. City view from Bayshore Inn.
484-486, 488, 489. Scenes from ferry crossing between Vancouver and Victoria.
Victoria, British Columbia:
489A & B. Capitol Building.
489 C & D. Capitol Building lit up at night.
490 & 490A. The Empress Hotel.
491 & 493. Street and harbor scenes.
493A & B. Marie Knapp and Ruth Blanchard posed in front of street lamps with hanging flower baskets.
494. Queen Victoria statue.
495 & 496. National Museum Building.
497. Ornate telephone booth.
497B. City scenery.
498 & 498A. Butchart Gardens sign.
499, 501-507, 509-512, 514-516, 518-520, 522, 524, 525, 527-533, 536-538. Butchart Gardens scenes.
540. Klan house in Vancouver.
542 & 543. Scenes from ferry crossing between Victoria and Vancouver.
Vancouver, British Columbia:
544 & 545. City scenery.
550-556, 558-561. Aerial views from airplane.
Riverboat Discovery Set No. 29 (Commercial travel slides, Arctic Circle Enterprises, faded):
29-1. Captain Jim Binkley, Riverboat Discovery, Fairbanks.
29-2. Riverboat Discovery on Chena River, Fairbanks.
29-3. Fish wheel in action on Tanana River, Alaska.
29-4. Indian type fish smoke-house.
29-5. Glacier flour where Chena and Tanana Rivers meet.