JOHN P. BAGOY (1922-2005). Cemetery Grave Papers; 1916-2003. .7 cu. ft.
John P. Bagoy was born in Anchorage, Alaska, in 1922. He graduated from Anchorage High School in 1940 and served in the U. S. Army during World War II. After receiving a bachelor's degree from the University of Oregon, he started an electrical supply business in Anchorage, and later acquired the electronics store, Yukon Radio and Electric Supply. After his retirement, Bagoy wrote a book composed of histories of Anchorage's founding families entitled, Legends and Legacies, Anchorage 1910-1935. Upon his mother's death in 1982, he began working to refurbish the Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery. This involved researching over three thousand unmarked graves and raising funds for new grave markers. He also gave annual cemetery tours every summer solstice, including stories about Anchorage pioneer families and Alaska Natives. Bagoy directed the project that created the Anchorage Pioneer Families Exhibit at the Anchorage Museum of History and Art. He received several awards and honors from local organizations for his historical efforts. John Bagoy died in Anchorage in 2005.
The collection consists of John P. Bagoy's papers relating to the identification and marking of grave sites at the Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery, and some family and local historical papers. The collection includes files containing the following types of records: lists of grave marker orders by cemetery tract; correspondence; orders for new grave markers; copies and notes from state records; cemetery photographs; maps; municipal records; records concerning new markers for Alaska Native graves; donor records; obituaries; Bagoy Family histories and photographs; and miscellaneous early Anchorage photographs.
The collection was presented to the archives by Wally Wallenstein in 2005.
Box and Folder List:
1. Marker Orders: Tracts 3 & 4; n.d.
2. Marker Orders: Tracts 5-8; n.d.
3. Marker Orders: Tract 7; n.d.
4. Marker Orders: Tract 7, Order 1; n.d.
5. Marker Orders: Tract 7, Order 2; n.d.
6. Marker Orders: Tracts 15 and 16; n.d.
7. Marker Orders: Tract 17; n.d.
8. Marker Orders: Tract 18; n.d.
9. Marker Orders; Tracts ABEF; n.d., 2001.
10. Marker Orders: Native Gravesites; n.d.
11. Quiring Specials (Quiring Monuments Inc. orders for markers); 1999-2003.
12. Cemetery: Letters to John Bagoy; n.d.; 1975, 1991-1995, 2001, 2002.
13. Cemetery: State Records (Unknown dates); 2002.
14. Cemetery: State Records (Unmarked graves); n.d.
15. Cemetery: Photographs; n.d., 1937, 2002 (1 b&w print; 13 color prints; 1 b&w copy; 14 color copies).
-Dedication of John P. Bagoy Gate; June 25, 2003 (12 color copies, 2.5 X 3.5 inch).
-Placing marker on "Russian" Jack Marchin grave, Arvin, California. John Bagoy with cemetery worker; 2003 (color copy, 4 X 6 inch).
-Jeanne and Sydney Lawrence headstone; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-Pinkney McMahill headstone; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-Harry G. Watson grave marker; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-Harry Cribb grave marker; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-Irving Leonard Kimball grave marker; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-John B. Bagoy headstone during cemetery tour; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
- Lucky grave marker; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 3.5 inch).
-Marie Silverman grave marker; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 3.5 inch).
-John Beaton Family headstone; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 3.5 inch).
-Elmer E. Rasmuson Family headstone; n.d. (color print, 3.5 X 3.5 inch).
-Joseph H. Romig grave marker; n.d. (color print, 2 X 2.5 inch).
-A. Frank Hoffman headstone; n.d. (color print, 2.5 X 2.75 inch).
-Anthony J. Dimond headstone; n.d. (color copy, 3.25 X 3.5 inch).
-Anton John Wendler grave marker; n.d. (b&w copy, 2.25 X 2.75 inch).
-Anchorage Memorial Cemetery in 1937. Taken from the corner of 8th & Cordova.; 1937 (b&w print, 8 X 10 inch).
16. Cemetery Maps; n.d.
-Includes several 3 X 5 inch note cards used for cemetery tours.
17. Municipality of Anchorage (Cemetery fee schedules, Columbarium Wall brochures, and other records); n.d., 1999-2003.
18. CIRI Markers: Correspondence; n.d., 2000-2003.
19. CIRI Markers: The Four Chiefs; n.d., 2001-2003.
20. CIRI Markers: Ada Blackjack Johnson and Nick Gray; n.d., 2001.
21. CIRI Markers: Chief Nicolai; n.d., 2003.
22. Pioneers buried in Angelus Cemetery; n.d.
23. National Register of Historic Places; n.d.
24. Pioneers: Moose and Elks Lodge Tracts; n.d., 2001.
25. Donors: Grave Markers; 2000, 2001.
26. Quiring Orders for Markers (Quiring Monuments Inc.); 2001-2003.
27. American Bronze Craft, Inc.: Orders for Markers; 2001-2003.
28. Special Stuff: Rowley-Eagleson (copies from newspaper microfilm); 1946.
29. Special Stuff: Anchorage Place Names (businesses); n.d.
30. Special Stuff: Edward B. Rasmuson (Contributions for grave markers); 2000-2003.
31. Special Stuff: 49th Star; 1950.
-Issue of The Forty Ninth Star; Aug. 26, 1950.
32. Bagoy Family: History, Obituaries, and Photographs; n.d., 1921-2000 (6 b&w prints, 3 b&w copies, 2 color copies).
-"The Bagoys of Alaska"; By; Richard P. Emanuel, Alaska Geographic Newsletter; n.d.
-"The Bagoy Family History"; n.d.
-"Anchorage Memorial Park Cemetery"; By John P. Bagoy; n.d.
-"Resurrection of a Cemetery" (notes); n.d.
-Bagoy Family obituaries: John B. Bagoy (1940), Marie A. Bagoy (1982), Helen M. Bagoy (1992), Peter J. Bagoy (1997), Doris Bagoy Faroe (2000).
Bagoy Family Photographs:
-John Bagoy Sr.; n.d. (color copy, 3.25 X 4 inch).
-John P. Bagoy on snow sled; ca. 1920s (b&w print, 3.5 X 5. inch).
-Group photo of Bagoy Family members at Curry Roadhouse; 1921 (b&w copy, 4 X 6.25 inch).
-"Dad and Robt. Hugdahl baby w/ doll in front of house on 4the Ave 1925" John Bagoy, Sr.and children on street; 1925 (b&w print, 3.5 X 5.25 inch).
-City Street snow removal in Anchorage. Pete Bagoy shoveling snow on Fourth Avenue; 1928 (color copy of b&w print, 4 X 6 inch).
-John Bagoy and Jack Sellers with shotguns and ducks at Ship Creek; ca. 1930s (3.5 X 4.5 inch).
-First Anchorage Hockey Team, Ice Carnival, Fairbanks; 1936 (b&w copy, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-Miss Anchorage. Young woman in gown and tiara; 1937 (b&w copy, 4.5 X 6 inch).
-John P. Bagoy high school graduation portrait in cap and gown; 1940 (b&w print, 3.75 X 4.75 inch).
-John P. Bagoy and mother; 1943 (b&w print, 2.75 X 3.5 inch).
-Damage to Bagoy Flower Shop in earthquake; 1964 (b&w print, 3.5 X 5 inch).
-John Bagoy receiving award from Governor Tony Knowles; 2002 (color copy, 4 X 5 inch).
33. Knik Obituaries (Copies of handwritten notes); n.d.
34. Miscellaneous Anchorage Photographs; n.d., 1916 (14 b&w prints, 3 color copies of prints).
-4th Avenue looking west from C Street; 1916 (b&w copy print, 2.75 X 4 inch).
-"Second Stage of Work in Anchorage New 12 ft. Concrete Walks."; A.E.C. Photo No. G750, P. S. Hunt, Photographer; 1916 (b&w copy print, 3 X 4.25 inch).
-"Anne W. Landing Passengers from S.S. Mariposa, Anchorage, Alaska, May 29-17"; A.E.C. Photo No. 494, P.S. Hunt Photo; 1917 (b&w copy print, 3 X 4 inch).
-"Parade Held in Honor of Recruits About to Depart for Their Training Stations, Anchorage, Alaska, June 30, 1918; A.E.C. Photo No. H76; H. G. Kaiser Photo; 1918 (b&w copy print, 3 X 4 inch).
-"Curry Hotel, 11/12.24."; 1924 (b&w print, 3.5 X 5.75 inch).
-Alaska Railroad telephone and telegraph workers with automobile and trailer on tracks; 1926 (b&w print, 3.25 X 4.25 inch).
-"Fourth and C Looking West, Anchorage, Alaska."; ca. 1920s (b&w photo post card, 3.5 X 5.5 inch).
-"The Arctic Highway" Winter scene at 3rd Avenue and E Street; 1931 (b&w print, 5 X 7 inch).
-Dr. Haverstock home near Grouse Lake, Seward; 1932 (color copy of b&w print, 3.5 X 6 inch).
-4th Avenue looking west from C Street; 1936 (color copy of b&w print, 3 X 4.75 inch).
-Winter scene of walkway and bridge at bottom of E Street Hill; 1938 (b&w print, 5 X 7 inch).
-View of Curry Hotel and Chulitna River on the Alaska Railroad; ca. 1930s (b&w print, 3.25 X 5.5 inch).
-Presbyterian Church; Sydney Lawrence Photo; n.d. (b&w copy print, 3 X 4 inch).
-Portrait of A. J. Wendler; n.d. (color copy of b&w print, 2.25 X 3.25 inch).
-"Residence Anchorage, Alaska." Home of Alaska Railroad manager; n.d. (b&w print, 3.5 X 5.75 inch).
-"Harbor, Anchorage, Alaska."; Bragaw's Photo; n.d. (b&w print, 5 X 7 inch).
-"Alaska Railroad Yards, Anchorage, Alaska" Aerial view (b&w print, 5 X 7 inch).