CHARLES A. GOODSPEED (1908-2004). World War II Scrapbook; 1922, 1930. 1933, 1941-1945. .25 cu. ft.
Charles Allen Goodspeed was from Glendive, Montana. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Montana in 1933. Goodspeed was later commissioned as an officer in the U. S. Navy. During World War II, he served as an intelligence officer in the 7th Fleet and was stationed in the following locations: Astoria, Oregon; Juneau and Sitka, Alaska; and Tolosa, Leyte Island and Manila, Philippines. He was discharged from the U. S. Navy in Seattle, Washington, in October 1945. Charles Goodspeed died in Seattle, Washington, in 2004.
The collection consists of the World War II era scrapbook of U. S. Navy intelligence officer, Lt. Charles A. Goodspeed. The scrapbook contains: 163 black and white photographic prints; 1 color print; identification and membership cards, mess tickets, newspaper clippings, menus, programs, newsletters, orders, transportation documents, and various other memorabilia. More notable papers in the scrapbook include: personnel lists for the U. S. Naval Air Station in Sitka, Alaska (June 1943), and the 7th Fleet Staff Intelligence Section at Manila, Philippines (Aug. 1945); an identification sheet with profiles of Pacific Northwest commercial ships (July 1943); a U. S. Navy report concerning combat operations from March 1944 to March 1945; a commencement program from the University of Montana in Missoula (June 1933); a Glendive City Schools certificate for completion of grammar school (May 1922); and a certificate of promotion from the Sunday School of the Glendive Methodist Church. Subjects of the photographs include: a chart of Pearl Harbor found in a captured Japanese submarine; Charles A. Goodspeed and fellow naval officers and friends in Astoria, Oregon and Juneau, Skagway and Sitka, Alaska; Alaska Territorial Governor Ernest Gruening at Skagway; a training exercise involving the recovery of an airplane using a navy diver; and the 7th Fleet Intelligence sections at Tolosa, Leyte Island, and Manila, Philippines (1945).
The collection was acquired by the archives in 2005.