Guide to the Elaine A. Schwinge journals
Collection number: HMC-0484.
Creator: Schwinge, Elaine A.
Title: Elaine Schwinge journals.
Dates: 1946-1950, 1996.
Volume of collection: 0.2 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Materials in this collection are primarily in English.
Collection summary: Journals of a field physician for the Alaska Territorial Department of Health.
Elaine Schwinge (also known as Elaine Ruggiero), M.D., served as a field physician for the Alaska Terrirotial Department of Health under health commissioner C. Earl Albrecht from 1946-1950. She served on the Mobile Health Unit, the ship M/S Hygiene, the BCG (tuberculosis vaccine) Program, and the Alaska Native Health Hospital in Bethel. Schwinge received her Master of Public Health from the University of Michigan in 1948. She later worked in psychiatry for the United States Public Health Service, the National Institute for Mental Health, and the state of Pennsylvania. She died in 2010.
The collection consists of a copy of Dr. Elaine Schwinge’s journals from her service in the Alaska Territorial Department of Health from 1946-1950. The journals are arranged chronologically and include diary and journal entries, narrative reports, correspondence, articles, stories, photographs, and other selected documents. The journals also include tables of contents and time lines. The collection also contains digitized copies of Schwinge’s journals.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged chronologically.
Alternative formats: The collection contains a CD-R of the journal entries.
Digitized copies: Digital copies of collection material are not available online. Some documents within the collection have been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: The Archives does not hold copyright to the materials in this collection.
Preferred citation: Elaine A. Schwinge journals, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Acquisition note: The collection was presented to the Archives by Margery Albrecht in 1999. Digitized copies of the journals were presented to the Archives by Elaine Schwinge in 2005.
Processing information: This collection was described by Jeffrey Sinnott in 2005. The collection was converted to current standard by Veronica Denison in 2013.