Guide to the C. Wilbert Alaska Highway construction photographs
Collection number: HMC-0494.
Creator: Wilbert, C.
Title: C. Wilbert Alaska Highway construction photographs.
Dates: circa 1943-1945.
Volume of collection: 0.25 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Materials in this collection are in English.
Collection summary: Photographs and postcards of the construction of the Alaska Highway.
Unknown at this time.
The photographs in this collection were part of the estate of C. Wilbert, formerly of upstate New York. The collection documents the construction of the Alaska Highway in the 1940s and consists of 211 black and white prints, 18 post cards, and 59 conservation negatives of selected images from the collection. The collection consists of 104 prints issued as part of numbered sets by the U. S. Army, which show construction of the Alaska Highway, including work crews, construction equipment, building materials, and the surrounding landscape. The collection also contains 107 prints that include images of hospital buildings and staff, construction equipment, wildlife, Quonset huts, and includes references to Unit 82, SV 2409, and Ward 3. Several photographs were taken along the Canol Road at Dodo Canyon and Camp Canol. The 18 postcards show images of the Alaska Highway, Whitehorse, Taku Glacier, a Public Roads Administration camp, Ft. McMurray, Ft. Smith, and the Columbia Ice fields in Jasper National Park.
Arrangement: This collection is arranged by subject.
Digitized copies: This collection has not been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Archives does not hold copyright to materials in this collection.
Preferred citation: C. Wilbert Alaska Highway construction photographs, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Acquisition note: This collection was purchased from eBay in 2000 and 2003.
Processing information: This collection was described by Kathleen Hertel in 2000. The 2003 addition was added to the collection by Arlene Schmuland in 2003. The guide was converted to current standard by Veronica Denison in 2014.