Guide to the Isaac and Margaret Wieler translations
An Alaska Historical Society collection
Collection number: HMC-1030-AHS.
Title: Isaac and Margaret Wieler translations.
Volume of collection: 0.01 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Materials in this collection are in English and Russian.
Collection summary: Translations of two Russian language accounts of the 1812 Russian American Company shipwreck of the ship Neva.
Isaac Wieler was born in Russia in 1907. In 1979, he and his wife Margaret assisted Kay M. Paddon in creating translations of two Russian language accounts of the wreck of the Russian American Company ship, the Neva, near the port of Archangel (now Sitka), in 1812. The first was written by Vasili N. Berkh of St. Petersburg, in 1817. The second was written by Alexei Markov of St. Petersburg, in 1850. The translations were done for the organization Nevaquest, and then edited by Dennis Cowals. Isaac Wieler died in Lynwood, Washington, in 1999.
The collection consists of translations of two accounts of the shipwreck of the Neva in 1812. The collection contains: a transmittal letter by Dennis Cowals of Nevaquest to the Wielers, sent with the translation copies, dated April 14, 1979; copies of the two translations; xerographic copies of the Wielers' handwritten translation notes for both accounts; and xerographic copies of the two published Russian language accounts.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged chronologically.
Digitized copies: This collection has not been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Archives does not hold copyright to materials in this collection.
Preferred citation: Isaac and Margaret Wieler translations, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Custodial history: The collection was given to Jon B. Jolly by Margaret Wieler in 1999.
Acquisition note: This collection was donated to the Alaska Historical Society by Jon B. Jolly in 2001. The Historical Society retains ownership of the collection and placed it on deposit with Archives and Special Collections in 2004.
Processing information: This collection was described by Jeffrey Sinnott in 2004. The collection was converted to current standard by Veronica Denison in 2014.
Location of originals: Currently unknown.