Guide to the Scotch Cap Light logbook pages
1946 March 27-31
An Alaska Historical Society collection
Collection number: HMC-1133-AHS.
Creator: Weedon, Seldon S.
Title: Scotch Cap Light logbook pages.
Dates: 1946 March 27-31.
Volume of collection: 0.01 cubic feet.
Language of materials: Materials in the collection are in English.
Collection summary: Final logbook pages from the Scotch Cap Light radio direction finder station, located on Unimak Island, Alaska.
Scotch Cap Light was a lighthouse built in 1940 by the United States Coast Guard located on Unimak Island, Alaska. The structure was 40 feet above sea level and five stories high. On April 1, 1946, the lighthouse was destroyed by a tsunami caused by an earthquake centered south of Unimak Island. The tsunami completely destroyed Scotch Cap Light, and killed the five crewmembers stationed inside.
This collection contains seven pages from a high frequency direction finder logbook kept at Scotch Cap Light radio direction finder station from March 27-31, 1946. The logbook records the time and place of the frequency as well as crew members on watch.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged chronologically.
Digitized copies: This collection has not been digitized. For information about obtaining digital copies, please contact Archives and Special Collections.
Rights note: Archives does not hold copyright to materials in this collection.
Preferred citation: Scotch Cap Light logbook pages, Alaska Historical Society collections, Archives and Special Collections, Consortium Library, University of Alaska Anchorage.
Works used in preparation of inventory: Organizational history from “1946 Aleutian Tsunami.” 1946 Aleutian Tsunami. http://earthweb.ess.washington.edu/tsunami/general/historic/aleutian46.html.
Acquisition note: This collection was donated to the Alaska Historical Society in 2014 by Seldon Weedon. The Historical Society retains ownership of the collection and has placed it on deposit with Archives and Special Collections.
Custodial history: The logbook pages were found in debris behind where the lighthouse was located on Unimak Island by the donor.
Processing information: This collection was described by Veronica Denison in 2014.